• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Member W/Advice Requests

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSenate

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello there y’all!
I’m Senate, and I’m looking to get into muzzle loading with a revolver.
I’m currently looking at a Pietta 1851 Navy Black Revolver Brass Frame with the 5 and 1/2 inch barrel in 36 caliber.
I’m looking for a cheap revolver (found a new one for $260) that’s relatively easy to shoot repeatedly on range day, but can still put out some power, while being reasonably small enough that I can take it on my camping and wilderness survival excursions.
I am a long time shooter, and have experience in some muzzle loading rifles, but not muzzle loading revolvers.
What would be the pros and cons of this revolver, and would this be a good fit for me, or do you have a possibly better suggestion?
Attached is a picture of the revolver.

Thanks in advance!
-Senate

Attachments

• IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome from PA. You could ask that question in forums under handguns, would put it out to more people who would be best suited to answer for you. Good luck.

Howdee,

They get dirty fast. I get about 3 cylinders worth, then it comes a part, wiped down and relubed for another 3 cylinders.
Never had a brass one nor 36 cal. Just less boom, but just as much fun.

Things I did to "tune" mine. Replaced the cones with slix-shots. The OEM ones worked fine.
Then I doubled the main spring. You can buy a heavier one. I bought a lighter one and put it over the OEM one. Too lazy to send one back and get the correct one. Works well.

Change your moniker might get more help, just saying.
How do you mean? My name is an old inside joke to my old group of buddies that played Star Wars Battlefront 2. I used to do a very accurate impression of Palpatine and would mock him whether I played as him. I know a few of those guys are into muzzle loading, so if any of them are on here, they’ll probably recognize me.

Welcome from California.

Miss the 1861 CVA I used to have.

Was enough for anything on the East Coast in the DC area.

Go .44, more power, bigger holes. For same overall form factor you just get better performance. I'm not a fan of brass frames. Brass is for furniture and fittings, not firearm receivers.

How do you mean? My name is an old inside joke to my old group of buddies that played Star Wars Battlefront 2. I used to do a very accurate impression of Palpatine and would mock him whether I played as him. I know a few of those guys are into muzzle loading, so if any of them are on here, they’ll probably recognize me.
The political section and sometimes the other sections bleed over into shall we say vigorous discussions in issues that concern the senate, the congress and the IDIOT that's supposed to be in charge, you are now in the midst of new buddies most of whom have no ideal of a fake world such as Star Wars anything. It's your choice, there's room for all but all may not agree all the time.

Back