2019 flintlock buck

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

ebutch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Great story Skychief. Appreciate you sharing your success, congratulations! Beautiful buck, and with a flinter! Nicely done. Cheers

Spikebuck

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Skychief...a hearty congratulations! That's a whopper no matter where a person is from. What were some of the dimensions of the rack...especially the inside spread and main beam length? Those look to be very large...good bases too. Truly a mature buck. You really earned that one. :thumb:

Mike

Skychief

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies all.

I don't know Mike as I've not bothered laying a ruler to the rack.

Best regards, Skychief.

PS, his teeth showed that he was 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 years old according to a biologist/taxidermist.

Last edited:

wvbuckbuster

45 Cal.
Reaction score
That is truly a NICE buck! Glad you were able to recover him and thanks for taking us along on the hunt! Dan.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Wow! Very nice buck, and a great story. Thank you for sharing it. Well done holding out for a better shot, many would not have had the self discipline to pass that shot with a bow. Good for you.
I guess this answers the question I've been wondering about regarding your eyes and if you are shooting again.

Skychief

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks brokennock. I chose the .45 over the .62 this year. Also used a lighter than usual load. 50 grains of 3f Swiss was part of the recipe. Worked great!

Skychief

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't mention, though it might be of interest to some, my rifle had been loaded since mid November until fired during the hunt yesterday.

I took no special precautions besides using a cow's knee in a few light rains and a good bit of heavy drizzles. When the time arrived, she fired with no lag nor hesitation.

Flintlocks are more reliable than some would have you believe.

Long live the flintlocks!!!!!!

Now, back to regular programming......:thumb:

azmntman

75 Cal.
Reaction score
HA! A Gilligans Island buck!!

Nice. Great ending, many ONLY look for blood and I have seen guys walk right by the downed deer not looking for it, only blood!

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Skychief, you really did kill "El Macho Grande". If I'd seen him I'd have surely fallen out of my seat. Congratulations on a true "monster" buck.

Latest posts