• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yes, a 45 caliber will kill a 15 point buck…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I was blessed to cross paths with this buck yesterday afternoon after hunting him since our October 1st archery opener.

I had a few photos of him but like all the older bucks this season (in my woods), they were all at night.

I did see a lot of bucks while out with my recurve but passed up opportunities hoping to find this or a couple other bucks that had visited my place.

The little Thompson Center came through again killing another buck north of 200 pounds.

Double lunged, he managed to lope about twenty yards, then I watched him sway, then drop within 40 yards of my ladder stand.

Good luck to all…..

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0539.png
    IMG_0539.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
I was blessed to cross paths with this buck yesterday afternoon after hunting him since our October 1st archery opener.

I had a few photos of him but like all the older bucks this season (in my woods), they were all at night.

I did see a lot of bucks while out with my recurve but passed up opportunities hoping to find this or a couple other bucks that had visited my place.

The little Thompson Center came through again killing another buck north of 200 pounds.

Double lunged, he managed to lope about twenty yards, then I watched him sway, then drop within 40 yards of my ladder stand.

Good luck to all…..
Bloody good job!

Hey Spikebuck!

It had been a few years since killing the "Cold weather brute" (title of past thread here). So long in fact, I had forgotten the rifles preferred load. I checked that thread here and used the same load which I had described....60 grains of 3f Schuetzen, then used a cotton duck patch lubed with vegetable shortening and a factory .440 ball.

That powder charge still proved accurate, and, was used when the buck made his fatal mistake.

Thanks for asking. You have a terrific memory!

All the best, Skychief.

Last edited:

Good luck to all…..
Thats a nice buck. Good shooting. Bet your heart was pumping when he walked out

Latest posts

Back