• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 ga side by side cap lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Met my buddy that I shoot with every Sunday morning and he had an older 20 ga bp shotgun.He owns a gun shop but isn't really a bp guy. We decided we'd shoot it to see if it would work. We loaded and shot the right barrel first and it went bang and the shot came out. Good start. Checked the left barrel and it had a partial load in it, powder only, got it out and reloaded it and it shot fine. Shot the right barrel again with no trouble. Told him I'd buy it and offered him twice what he paid and he took it.
Got the gun home to clean up and there are no ID marks or proofs on the gun anywhere. On the left lock there is some scroll work on the border of the lock and what looks like a running rabbit at the rear of the lock. On the right lock there is the same border scroll and a flower looking thing surrounding a screw head and what looks like a running dog. On the top of the wrist there is an oblong disc with some scrolling on it and what appears to be the initials in ornate script J K. The J may be an F, not sure about it. There is the number 32 stamped heavily in the left side butt stock near the butt.
All the furniture is steel. I took it apart and there is nothing identifying the make inside the locks or the stock. Wood is in fair shape with a few surficial cracks but no real splits.

Anyone familiar with the initials or why the number is stamped in the stock?

I did remove the barrels from the stock. There are no proof stamps anywhere on the gun. No manufacturer, serial numbers. Nada. Only thing is the scrolled initials JS on top of the wrist in an oblong metal plate with scrolling on the plate, and the large number 32 stamped deeply into the stock on the bottom left side near the butt.
Interesting gun, has some age on it but doesn't seem to have been mistreated. I think I'll keep it and shoot it. Maybe even hunt with it.

Back