• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safe load for old sxs 20 ga shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this older 20 sxs percussion shotgun awhile back and am wondering about a safe load to use in it. It has 32" barrels, the chokes don't matter to me. It has absolutely no identifying stampings externally or in the locks. No numbers at all. There may be a proof mark on an outer barrel but I think it's a dent or something. There is a plate that is scrolled at the top of the handguard part of the stock and initialed with either an ornate F or J along with an ornate K. There is scrolling on the trigger guard and a few on each sidelock. Left sidelock has a running rabbit and the right side has a K9 of some sort. There is very good checkering on the pistol grip and front handguard but it is worn mostly flat and it can't be felt. There is a cheek rest on the left side of the butt stock with a floral design and a fairly large 34 stamped near the toe of the butt. It has sling swivels.
With just a description, I am not able to send photos, can a guess be made as to where it was made and how old it might be? What would a safe load be to shoot in it?

With just a description, I am not able to send photos, can a guess be made as to where it was made and how old it might be? What would a safe load be to shoot in it?
Depends on the condition of the barrels. Are they by chance Damascus? You really need to have a competent smith (specializing in muzzleloading shotguns if possible) look at the gun and render their advice.

AQs stated it needs to be examined by someone familar with muzzle loading shotguns. I use a 7/8 shot 55 grain FF in my 28 gauge so I would recomend it as a starting point. Since I got my information from a long time shooter of 20 gauges,as it was his light load for rabbits.

Ohio, sounds like a good sense load. I already have a 50 grn measure I made and I can start there with the 7/8 oz shot. The gun has had a nipple replaced by a guy that knows a bit about old shotguns but I hadn't asked him about loads for it. Tie it onto a tire on the desert and see what happens.

Yup, every hole that could be opened on that gun has been looked through. It isn't damascus either.
That’s a good first step. Have an original Lorenz that the previous owner stated was shooting with poor accuracy, maybe 30 years ago or so, at least that’s what he remembers. Rifling looked good at the muzzle. Borescope revealed that about halfway down the bore there was an area with significant erosion. Gun is now a candidate for either a wall hanger or rebore. A test fire may have resulted in a catastrophic failure, destroying a piece of history and possible personal injury. Borescopes are a wonderful tool.

Get a bore scope to look at it. I have a 1840's double with cloud Damascus barrels. They look nice on the outside, scary as hell on the inside. I did shoot it one time with a light load of 1F, just to say I had shot it.

Back