• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield Proof Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
At the beginning of the Civil War a large number of contracts were issued to private companies to build copies of the 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket. To many of these companies, building a firearm was a new experience.

Among these companies was one called SARSON AND ROBERTS in New York City who made a little over 5,000 of these guns.
On April 23, 1862 the company wrote the following to Major A.B.Dyer, United States Corps of Ordnance, Springfield:

"SIR: We have a number of barrels now ready for proof, and beg leave to address you in regard to their inspection.
Will you have the goodness to inform us of the weight of charges of powder, ball, &c., and if we can be allowed to prove them ourselves, or if it is necessary to wait for an official inspector, and oblige,
Very respectfully your obedient servant,
SARSON & ROBERTS."

This answer was sent to them:

"SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, April 24, 1862
GENTLEMEN: Your letter of the 23d is received. The musket barrels are required to be proved as follows; viz: First charge, 280 grains of powder, one ball weighing 500 grains, and two wads. second charge, 250 grains of powder, one ball weighing 500 grains, and two wads,-(See Ordnance Manual, page 184,) You should report to the chief of ordnance at Washington, that you have barrels ready for proof, and ask for instructions. I have been ordered to have barrels proved for some of the contractors.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
A. B. DYER,
Captian of Ordnance."

This information came from the book THE RIFLED MUSKET by Claud E. Fuller copyright 1958. THE STACKPOLE COMPANY, HARRISBURG, PA. page 190.

I am passing this on to you just as just as general information, because I, myself have often wondered what the real proof loads many of the old guns had to pass were.
Hopefully none of you will try to see if your original or reproduction guns will pass this test because there may be some out there that won't and I sure don't want anyone to say old zonie said that your gun would.

Another thing I've learned from this book is that many of the Springfield's made by these companies did not use steel for the barrels. They used iron and the failure rate for the proof tests was rather high.

Very interesting. Thanks for the post.

Iron, huh? The name of the company would have been SARSON & ROBERTS, Rifles and Grenades.

Zonie said:
This answer was sent to them:

I am passing this on to you just as just as general information, because I, myself have often wondered what the real proof loads many of the old guns had to pass were.

Hopefully none of you will try to see if your original or reproduction guns will pass this test because there may be some out there that won't and I sure don't want anyone to say old zonie said that your gun would.

Important to remember too that wear an tear on a old gun and its general condition. Do not expect a old fire arm like that to be able to stand up to such a load. Also a proof load (I dont think i am wrong here) would not be something to use under any condition).

That load behind a mini ball would blow the back of the mini clear to Kansas. and be totaly useless for anything.

Zonie
After reading your post I just had to get out my copies of Fuller's book again. So much info I'd forgotten.
On the same note, several years ago when I proofed my last hand forged swamped barrel, I used a similar proof charge. The first load was a .58 cal and I used 300 grains of 3F under two tightly patched roundballs. The second was 250 grains of 3F under a 500 grain mini bullet. I slugged the barrel as well as measured the outside again, there were no changes. I've always considered it a safe barrel.
I don't recommend that proof to ANYONE else.

Regards, Dave

Actually, iron was specified for all Springfield musket barrels, even those made by the National Armories. Once trip hammers replaced hand welding, the failure rate dropped drastically, although the changeover occurred at Springfield long before Harpers Ferry. And later, when barrel rolling mills took over manufacture of barrels, the failure rate dropped again.

Back