• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question About Original 1863 Springfields

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Colt did make bunch of the 1861 Special rifle muskets, but farmed out the rest, LG&Y was another firm that made some of them. Interestingly, the 1861 Special came about because Colt contracted to make Model 1861's but was already tooled up to make Enfields so they got the Gov't. to accept the not really 1861's closer to Enfield pattern!
I found it interesting when poking around in the Dixie Gun Works catalog the Colt Special models share several of the same part numbers as British Enfields.

Back to the original question: Will an 1863 Springfield barrel in the two-band length fit a cut-down stock from an original 1863 Springfield three-bander? In other words, do the two-band and three-band 1863 Springfield barrels have the same taper and profile?

I do want to stress that we're talking specifically about the 1863 Springfield rifle musket, not the "Zouave," the Mississippi, the Colt special, the '55 or the '61, or any of the various other muskets of the period. However, I have enjoyed the discussion and I have learned a few things about these interesting military weapons.

Anyway, I called Dan Whitacre this morning, and he answered yes, they do have the same profile and a two-band barrel should "pretty much" drop in the cut-down stock with little or no modification. He would know. This leads me to believe the original two-band M1863 Springfield rifle muskets were most likely cut-down three-banders rather than being purpose built in the shorter length, although there were certainly other models which were built from the get-go as shorter guns.

On a sad note, Dan kindly answered the phone from his hospital bed. He is not in the shop right now due to illness. I hate to see a good man down, and I hope you will join me in wishing him a full and prompt recovery.

Thanks to all who contributed their thoughts on this thread!

Notchy Bob

figured I would share a few photos of my Colt 1861 special.

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4467.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4464.jpg
    IMG_4464.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4462.jpg
    IMG_4462.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4461.jpg
    IMG_4461.jpg