• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recent acquistion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've posted this on another board but thought you folks might also like to see it.

It's the latest acquisition for my small but select collection of ACW small arms. I started with an M1863 Springfield a year or two ago, then got a Burnside 5th model cavalry carbine--and now to finally represent the South--a Pattern 1853 Enfield manufactured by Robert Pritchett of London.

Robert Pritchett and gun designer Robert Medford co-invented what is known as the Pritchett bullet and cartridge--which became the standard load for the Enfields for much of their service. Pritchett was reported only to have shipped rifles to the Confederacy—however, never in the numbers of the other London makers and especially not the Birmingham builders who supplied the most. Prichett ended up dissolving his business during the ACW a few years after his other major customer--the East India Company. Consequently, examples of his P1853s tend to be rare. Being only in his mid-30s by that time he embarked on a career as an artist specializing in watercolors. Queen Victoria became one of his patrons and he became quite successful. He passed away in 1907.

Here's a shot of the musket along with a nice original bayonet plus an original scabbard and frog in pristine condition. The Enfield cartridge box and snake hook belt are repops but were popular with the South when they happened to make it through the blockade
IMG_2772.edit 2.JPG

Here's the lockplate showing the Pritchett name
Shot of lock.jpg

Here are the London proof marks
IMG_2767.edit.JPG

Here are the barrel markings. The 25 gauge stands for .577 while if marked 24 gauge it was .58 cal. Generally, the Union got the 24 gauges and the South the 25s if they didn't get caught running the blockade. The hash marks were used for assembly. J.R. Cooper was a Birmingham-based barrel maker so it's possible that the barrel was made in Birmingham and sent to London. All of the 900,000 or so 3 band and 2 band Enfields shipped to the US were made by commercial makers in either Birmingham or London. The Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield supplied the British military with their rifles and it's thought that it's unlikely that any of their production was use in the ACW. Unfortunately there are no known Confederate markings on the rifle but that is not an uncommon thing.
IMG_2766.edit.JPG

Lastly, whether this rifle-musket was used by the Confederates or not, I thought a glamor shot on the 2nd national 11-star flag would help it whistle Dixie a little. The private's combo tool is a repro while the clay pipe depicting a Native American has been in my family since at least the 1830s. I also added an British style cap pouch that fits on the cartridge box sling at an angle.
IMG_2811.for post.JPG

comments or corrections welcome

Cheers

I've posted this on another board but thought you folks might also like to see it.

It's the latest acquisition for my small but select collection of ACW small arms. I started with an M1863 Springfield a year or two ago, then got a Burnside 5th model cavalry carbine--and now to finally represent the South--a Pattern 1853 Enfield manufactured by Robert Pritchett of London.

Robert Pritchett and gun designer Robert Medford co-invented what is known as the Pritchett bullet and cartridge--which became the standard load for the Enfields for much of their service. Pritchett was reported only to have shipped rifles to the Confederacy—however, never in the numbers of the other London makers and especially not the Birmingham builders who supplied the most. Prichett ended up dissolving his business during the ACW a few years after his other major customer--the East India Company. Consequently, examples of his P1853s tend to be rare. Being only in his mid-30s by that time he embarked on a career as an artist specializing in watercolors. Queen Victoria became one of his patrons and he became quite successful. He passed away in 1907.

Here's a shot of the musket along with a nice original bayonet plus an original scabbard and frog in pristine condition. The Enfield cartridge box and snake hook belt are repops but were popular with the South when they happened to make it through the blockade
View attachment 240496

Here's the lockplate showing the Pritchett name
View attachment 240497

Here are the London proof marks
View attachment 240536

Here are the barrel markings. The 25 gauge stands for .577 while if marked 24 gauge it was .58 cal. Generally, the Union got the 24 gauges and the South the 25s if they didn't get caught running the blockade. The hash marks were used for assembly. J.R. Cooper was a Birmingham-based barrel maker so it's possible that the barrel was made in Birmingham and sent to London. All of the 900,000 or so 3 band and 2 band Enfields shipped to the US were made by commercial makers in either Birmingham or London. The Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield supplied the British military with their rifles and it's thought that it's unlikely that any of their production was use in the ACW. Unfortunately there are no known Confederate markings on the rifle but that is not an uncommon thing.
View attachment 240502

Lastly, whether this rifle-musket was used by the Confederates or not, I thought a glamor shot on the 2nd national 11-star flag would help it whistle Dixie a little. The private's combo tool is a repro while the clay pipe depicting a Native American has been in my family since at least the 1830s. I also added an British style cap pouch that fits on the cartridge box sling at an angle.
View attachment 240517
comments or corrections welcome

Cheers
Beautiful 😊

Love me some Hershey Chocolate Bar Wrapper colored stocks.

Very nice.
That was my first thought when I got it. I bought this from Lodgewood who had it on consignment after they had repaired the stock broken by USPS in a shipment. To hide the repair they put that opaque surface finish on it and my first thought was a "chocolate coating" when I saw it. It has a very nice bore but they warned against shooting it. They felt that the repair would hold up to handling but not to repeated firing so they were selling it as a pure collectible but at a price the owner claimed was about half of what it should have sold for. However, I bought the gun and not the story so I was able to negotiate the price down even more.

I'm thinking about ordering a second stock from Dunlop Woodcrafts, then fitting it out with its own buttplate, lock plate screw escutcheons, trigger assembly, trigger guard, and nose cap. (the parts that are time-consuming/difficult to dismount) Then I'd have the original stock for display and a second stock for shooting. The barrel, lock, and barrel bands should work for both stocks.

I don't get out to shoot much and have plenty of other guns to take when I do so it may or may not happen.:dunno:

Cheers

Latest posts

Back