• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1765-1775 English Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Reposted the photos using Imgur.com. Much better photo hosting service than Photobucket.

ZYHBdTj.jpg

R22xwkS.jpg

HjgKZuo.jpg

P0ymkZY.jpg

FybXlGo.jpg

92zkkEg.jpg

rIhXgcj.jpg

zWwwKZk.jpg

Kgbx7TE.jpg

em2BIVB.jpg

KScK60M.jpg

9eXsEpC.jpg

19rflgT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Time well spent Dave!

any pictures of the muzzle-bore?

Interested in Getz fowler barrels.

I am trying to build my first fowler-I now have a goal.I Keep coming back to look at your fowler like a moth drawn to a flame. What kind of wood is that?

Hi Stormcloud,
Thanks for looking. The fowler architecture is based on an original English fowler that I own so it is a good example of a typical 1770s gun. The wood is American black walnut that I stained to look more like English walnut. The trick is to stain the wood with a yellow dye such as an aniline dye and then rub it back a bit with a Scotch-Brite pad. The yellow eliminates the cold purple-brown tone common in black walnut and warms it up a lot.

dave

Dave Person said:
Hi Gus,
That is a great bit of history. Egg first worked for John Twigg in London before setting up his own business. As to signing "Royal" guns, the maker certainly signed them and if there is any silver or gold ornamentation, the metal is hallmarked along with the stamp of the gold or silversmith. Certainly, stockers and engravers rarely if ever signed their work.

dave
Yes there were some English Stockers that did sign there work .Over the years I have come across several when doing restoration the most common place was behind the standing breech or the butt plate .
Feltwad
An early English Fowler notice the drop of the stock

Hi Feltwad,
Thanks for the photos. That is a nice take-down fowler. My gun above is fitted for a small woman so the stock is straighter to accommodate her build. I assume you mean the signatures of stock makers were under the butt plate or standing breech and could not be seen without disassembling the gun? My original fowler has no such marks but then it was likely export grade, although it is very well made.

dave

Latest posts

Back