• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1075 caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone still make 1075 size caps for revolvers anymore? I just picked up a Pietta Remington and had to replace the nipples. Package says they are sized for no 11's but my CCI's fall right off while some old 1075 fit perfect. I can pinch the no. 11's to a snug fit but I'd like to have something that fits without doing that.

Both my pietta colts take no 10 s with no problems any brand , the instructions that came with both my revolvers said to use no. 11 caps. :thumbsup:

RWS still make a 1075 plus. I got some from an outfit called Gamaliel but they only sell by the thousand I think. Can't help on small quantity.

Scott

When I shoot, I figure at least a hundred shots in an afternoon. That isn't many trips to the range in a thousand caps. Maybe a years worth?

I've been on a couple of the websites and some will not ship to a private vendor and others will not ship to Ohio. Guess a trip to the log cabin shop might be in order.

RWS made the 1075 under the Dynamit Nobel tag. Remington #10s fit the revolvers I used to stick the RWS caps on.
Pinching caps to make them work is inviting chainfire to dinner, IMHO

ive found #10 remingtons to work best on most pietta revolvers.

they also seem to work well on my rifles designed for #11 caps.

I too have a Pietta 58 Remington New Army. Before I put my no. 11 caps on, I crimp the open end a little bit. They stay on through the firing of the cylinder. I

Tommy Bruce said:
Does anyone still make 1075 size caps for revolvers anymore? I just picked up a Pietta Remington and had to replace the nipples. Package says they are sized for no 11's but my CCI's fall right off while some old 1075 fit perfect. I can pinch the no. 11's to a snug fit but I'd like to have something that fits without doing that.

What brand nipples did you purchase?
RWS caps are 1075, and the best caps on the market.

Jack Lalley said:
I have two Pieta revolvers and am currently pinching the #11s. Who makes the hottest #10s?

I can't say who makes the hottest #10, but I think that Remington #10's are the most popular because they're the best all around, especially for Pietta factory nipples.

Contrary to an earlier statement, pinching caps into an elliptical shape is not inviting a multiple ignition.
The copper cap is pinched into an elliptical. It is then placed over a round nipple. The soft copper cap form itself around the round nipple, but the "springiness" of the elliptical shape is retained.
I have fired cap and ball revolvers since 1970, and often pinched the caps into an elliptical. This helps the cap cling to the nipple, helping to prevent its loss from falling off, or recoil.
Incidentally, I don't believe that multiple ignitions begin at the front of the cylinder, when flame somehow squirts past the ball. Haven't believed that in years.
I believe that caps fall off, or are loose enough on the nipple, and flame squirts into the nipple of other chambers.
Back in the 1970s, with the same revolver, I experienced multiple ignition on three separate occasions. This was with black powder, a .451 ball, Crisco smeared over the ball, and a cap not pinched placed over the nipple. Back then, I didn't know of this practice.
That revolver was irrepairably damaged on the third incident.
Later, when I obtained another cap and ball revolver, I learned of pinching the caps. I have never had a multiple ignition since, in a variety of revolvers.
The assertion that pinching caps invites multiple ignition is news to me. I've never heard that. Not in more than 40 years of shooting cap and ball revolvers.

I think it may not make a difference if the caps are a decent, not great fit. but if they are really too loose, then squeezing them out of round just makes a funnel for the flame to enter.

I like to "crimp" them with a pair of dikes with a round notch cut in both sides. puts a coke bottle waist on them, and can make caps work with odd size or ill-fitting nipples. Better to just get a new set that is properly sized from TotW, though.

I'm not new to black powder, but it's been a while since I've hunted with my Hawkins .50 cal. I remember getting caps that were lose and didn't fit right. I went to a gun shop that knew about black powder and he sold me some really good fitting nipples. I don't remember the brand or size.

I just purchased a Pietta 1851 Navy .44 cal. I went to Gander Mtn. today and purchased some #11 Winchester Magnum caps. They are VERY lose fitting.

I read above about using #10 caps instead. I am new to pistols and don't want to take a chance on a chain fire. I am also new to this forum and haven't found a list of recommended suppliers. Can someone give me a link to the recommended caps and suppliers mentioned above? Thanks.

Bobby

Get a set of replacement nipples in #11 from tranditions made for the Pietta revolvers. They come in a 3 pack (hell if I know...) so get 2 packs. They may be available local at a sporting goods/hunting store.
The nipples that come from the factory on Piettas tend to be less than optimum. My revolver (same one you have) came with very mismatched nipples. 3 of them were 11, 2 were 11 and 1 was a 12!
Once I put new nipples on it I have not had any issues. And the number 11 cap is the same one that goes on my rifles so no need for differant sized caps in the possibles bag.

I put Treso nipples from the Possibles Shop on all my Piettas, My Colt and my ROA's. #10 Remingtons and not a single problem. They fit snug with no pinching and stay on. They fixed my 1862 Pocket Police.

Thanks for the replies. In order to not hijack the original thread topic of 1075 caps, I'll start a separate thread for some questions I have on the 1851 model that I have.

Bobby

Back