• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

zen and art of flintlocking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
well I have focused my attentions on my flintlocks for the last year or so, My goal was to get as adept with my rock bangers as my percession guns.
I tell ya the first thing I learned is that if you suffer from A.D.D. flintlocking will train you to focus.
The few things that helped me was.
Dry firing my flint with a closepin in the lock,
lifting weights to create muscle memory,
Dry firing,
sharpe flints and clean touch holes between shots.
And dry firing.
Did I mention dry firing, my shooting coach in the military made me dry fire every night for an hour I have picked up that practice again because it works.
Here is a 100 yrd off hand 10 shot target I shot yesterday in preperation for the shoot next week at AMM nationals.

DSCF6074.jpg

Creating consistant inginition was the first thing I did.
I sent my lock off to L.C.Rice to be tuned.
I wipe my flint,frizzin and foot between shots and pick my vent liner.
I make sure to start my practice session with a new, sharp,tuned(ground flat and even)7/8th flint a bit over sized but hits and sparks harder.
I lower my frizzin on to my prime, not dropping it which will disrupt my prime.
I prime up to and under but not over my vent hole.
I use Swiss Null B as my prime.
As I got better focus and follow through I could hold on target even if I got a little slower ignition.
Now I am practicing with fffg as my prime so when I hang out with the thred counting AMM boys I will shoot and prime out of the same horn.
I dry fire alot if you blink that is the same as flinching and your target will show it.
YOU MUST KEEP YOUR FOCUS ALL THE WAY THROUGH YOUR SHOT, EYE OPEN WIDE!
:thumbsup:

NICE target! :bow:
I use the same routine - allmost religiously - there is just one small difference: I only wipe my feet when I enter the house ... :rotf: :blah:
Wished my 100 yard targets where that good! :thumbsup:

Smart move.

May be worth reminding folks that L.C. Rice is one of the original letters in the L&R Lock name and tunes Jim Chamber's locks. Makes a heck of a barrel, too (but I think his brother has taken that over now).

And he's a hoot to talk to. :thumbsup:

Pretty durn impressive Nathan! You put a lot of work into it and the results speak for themselves.
:hatsoff:

...as my grandson would say: "DUUUDE!!"
That is impressive as all get out. I would guess the competition is gonna' be in trouble.

Please let us know how you make out in the match!

CoyoteJoe said:
Pretty durn impressive Nathan! You put a lot of work into it and the results speak for themselves.
:hatsoff:

Thanks brother, without a doubt you are the biggest reason I am where I am when it comes to shooting muzzleloaders.
I can't thank you enough for your guidence, know how,gun smithing and for putting up with me calling you in the morning when nobody but me and the elk are up.
Can't say how we came together to be friends but I am blessed to have you and Gwen in my and my families lives.
:bow: :bow:

Stumpkiller said:

Smart move.

May be worth reminding folks that L.C. Rice is one of the original letters in the L&R Lock name and tunes Jim Chamber's locks. Makes a heck of a barrel, too (but I think his brother has taken that over now).

And he's a hoot to talk to. :thumbsup:

That is correct and they are a hoot to talk to.
Man there is years of experence there.
:bow:

Nathan thats some shore nuff lead throwin there. Gives us all something to aim for :thumbsup: :bow:

Back