• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Update on my flintlock flinch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKWilliam

54 cal
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone’s tips in my previous thread.

I spent the week applying wood finish to my barrel channel, so I can use RIG on the bottom of my barrel. Due to that didn’t have time to make a wood shaped flint to practice dry firing, but I really focused on seeing my target and holding the sight picture for a few seconds after I fired. It definitely helped as my groups were pretty tight. Yes I know everything will shoot good at 20-30 yards but considering I got a 2in or so group at 30yds with it only being my second time shooting and fighting the flintlock flinch I consider it a win in my books.

As you can tell my gun is shooting low, due to me putting a taller sight on my rifle when I was assembling it. I’d honestly rather spend time filling it down, rather than trying to file my rear sight. But I’m not gonna file till I’m well comfortable with my flinch control, and finding the load my rifle likes best. I’ll have to see what it looks like at 50 or 100 but for now my load consists of a .530 ball with a .18 patch with mink oil lube and 80 grains of 2f.

I probably could get a tighter group since I’ve seen people have clover leaf groups, but I need to have better control and a better rest than a cheap homemade sandbag. Yes my first 4 shots were at 60 but with hitting so low I moved up, but besides 2/4 at 60 hitting my poster board I had a 100% hit rate rather than a 50% rate with my first time shooting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
You know for some reason I get that "flintlock flinch" all the time if I don't shoot mine regularly. It takes about 4 or 5 shots to shake it. Even concentrating on the follow through can be tricky when you're a lefty shooting a right handed flintlock and having that flash in front of your nose!
Back about 40 years ago or so when a group of us would shoot every weekend we were pretty good. Out of the 7 regulars me and an other guy could consistently hit plastic soup spoons stuck handle first in cardboard and placed out to about 35-40 yards.

Back