• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your SkyChief load in pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking back at my data, it may have been 100 grains for that load. I believe 80 grains was used for my 10 or 12 shot load. I’ll have to go back and try it again.

I’ve done a lot of testing with the Skychief load at 25-35 yards with #5 shot for turkey hunting but I didn’t take many photographs, just recorded the data.

-Jake

I think it's a grand idea. A few rules were proposed in May in this thread (post #4 above); would you be interested in adding "no fillers?" Do I draw the 12" circle before, or after I shoot? Will you be an official?
Same wads and powder as above, here with eight 00 buck reclaimed from old shot shells. A big greasy wad strike is at right edge of white:
View attachment 38318
The 00 buck are .330 dia., 55 grains. Also trying five .380" dia. balls, 83 grains each:
View attachment 38319
View attachment 38320
What do I win?
sir, you are helping me so much to develop buckshot loads for my side by side, thank you so much. I live in Southeastern NC where my dad brought me up deer hunting with beagal hounds. We still hunt too, but also love to hear the sound of music and shoot these river bucks running with 00 buckshot. It is so fun and exciting to be sitting and hearing the dogs get on one. Especially when the dogs start heading into your direstion, then you some crashing, then all of a sudden, a large buck or doe is running towards you or perpendicular of you withing 40 yards. You talking about a heart jumping experience, wow, is all I can say about it. Last year I killed 3 large doe sitting on my atv. Two were still hunting, and the last in front my dogs. I shot her with my 12 gauge unmentionable muzzle loader with extra-full jug choke, at 50 paces. I aimed 1 foot in front of her and 6 out of 15 hit her in the vitals. My load with that gun is as follows: 120 gns 2f Goex, 2- over powder cards, 1- lubed .5 inch cushion wad, 15-00 buckshot with equal volume buffer, over-shot-card. But, I will try this with an added .5 inch wad at the end as well. This very well could add 10 paces to my range? Thanks again, to you, Skychief, and Britsworthy, and SDSmlf!!!!

Last edited:
New question to an older post!

Thanks so much for the post Brokennock. My question is how did you physically saturate the cushion wad? I am looking for a better technique (mine is messy and the wife says no-way!). I use 50% lambs tallow/50% beeswax. But I cannot for the life of me figure out the best way (path of least resistance), to saturate each cushion wad???

Thanks again!!!!

Ranger94

New question to an older post!

Thanks so much for the post Brokennock. My question is how did you physically saturate the cushion wad? I am looking for a better technique (mine is messy and the wife says no-way!). I use 50% lambs tallow/50% beeswax. But I cannot for the life of me figure out the best way (path of least resistance), to saturate each cushion wad???

Thanks again!!!!

Ranger94

I use a beeswax and fat/oil for my patches and for the felt wads I use in other shot loads.

For the cushion wads that sit on top of the whole load in this Skychief load, I just use straight olive oil or melted coconut oil. Too difficult to keep the wax melted for the length of time the wads need to soak.
I just drop a handful of wads in a plastic container pour the oil in and let it sit and soak. Using coconut oil it may need to be reheated occasionally because it is semi solid at average room temperature, or leave the container someplace very warm.

Let them soak until they don't seem to be absorbing any more oil.

@Ranger94

I take a shallow pan, say 1 1/2" deep, and stand the wads up on end in the pan. Put as many in the pan that will reasonably fit. I pour canola oil into the pan. Enough to cover the wads. Set aside and check in an hour or two. Add oil if needed. Once wads are saturated I lay them out on some paper towels overnight. Throw wads in a plastic ziplock for storage. Why canola oil? Because that's what I had on hand when I first tried this and it worked so that's what I use.

80 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 #5 at 20 yards. Only 2 pellets it the body,, the rest were in the head,,,about 40-50. Over powder wad..treated cushion wad,,shot,,over shot card. This load will pattern very nice out to about 35-40 yards. Tried square load but was horrible past 20 yard. Check out Mike Bellevue for great loads using a Fowler. Sorry about my clothes..it is what it is.

Attachments

• 5F2AE988-1C1F-4BB7-B490-CA9E0FAFB873.jpeg
    5F2AE988-1C1F-4BB7-B490-CA9E0FAFB873.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 95
this is a rookie question but as tight as the wads are do you load with the hammer at half cock to let air escape or down on the nipple.
I am about ready to start working with the percussion SXS Pedersoli 12 gauge All my experience with shot gun reloading can't be talked about here.
Thanks
Bunk

this is a rookie question but as tight as the wads are do you load with the hammer at half cock to let air escape or down on the nipple.
I am about ready to start working with the percussion SXS Pedersoli 12 gauge All my experience with shot gun reloading can't be talked about here.
Thanks
Bunk
Well, if I were loading a caplock I certainly would have the hammer at half cock during loading. But, I'm loading a flintlock so hammer position isn't as crucial. I do leave a thin brass pick in my flash hole while loading, but it isn't quite tight enough to prevent air escaping.
The air issue is why I tend to "build the whole load" at the muzzle. Otherwise after the 1st over powder wad is seated, all other wads need a notch or some way to let air come past and out the muzzle..

Well, if I were loading a caplock I certainly would have the hammer at half cock during loading. But, I'm loading a flintlock so hammer position isn't as crucial. I do leave a thin brass pick in my flash hole while loading, but it isn't quite tight enough to prevent air escaping.
The air issue is why I tend to "build the whole load" at the muzzle. Otherwise after the 1st over powder wad is seated, all other wads need a notch or some way to let air come past and out the muzzle..
OK Thanks Brokennock I like the "build the whole load at the muzzle" idea there is no chance of double loading one side.
Appreciate it
Bunk

I never thought of double loading a side by side. If I was doing it I think I would leave the ramrod in the loaded barrel to keep me aware. And then check with the ramrod after I was done just to be totally sure. I can be a little absent minded sometimes. If anybody could double load it would be me.

Back