• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Reading the loading procedure by Skychief I'm wondering about the two different cards. It seems like the over powder card is different from the over shot card.

Wondering what I should order 🤔

@longcruise, you can also use your knife to nick the edge of the card to allow the air to escape. I also think using the over shot cards over the powder between the powder and the shot. These light cards will fall away from the shot more quickly than the hard card. The heavy (soaked) wad will fly faster than the shot collum and fall away not making a hole in the shot pattern.

Just shot this today at 25yds. I only use the thin "over shot" cards for everything. I also get good patterns by not using the lubed fiber wad and just topping it off with 2 thin os cards instead. Everything else is useless in my opinion, you just have to find the right balance of powder, shot and the number of cards

75gr ffg swiss
4 thin os cards
1 5/8 #6 lead
1/2 lubed fiber was

And yes, the turkeys head fell off!

Attachments

• 20240324_192430.jpg
    20240324_192430.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Instead of the hard nitro card over powder card, I use two over shot cards over the powder. I started doing this after reading an article written by Toby Bridges back in the 80’s. He said he used them and eliminated the need for two different cards.
With the Skychief load or in general?

Reading the loading procedure by Skychief I'm wondering about the two different cards. It seems like the over powder card is different from the over shot card.

Wondering what I should order 🤔
The Skychief load is pretty specific, and most of us whom have tested it have found that changing any little thing can drastically change the results... We have also noticed that those who did not get good results did not follow the original description.

Powder, nitro card, shot, thin "overshot" card, lube soaked cushion wad.
Screenshot_20240324_223444.jpg

In order, powder, wad-A, shot, wad-B, then wad-C soaked in lube.

You can avoid the trapped air issue by building the whole load at the muzzle and pushing it all down together. If I recall, this is how I show it in my picture tutorial.

Good info here. Urge you study pin on by Zonie. I have most all the cards and wads for 12 gauge. We should get out to the range to pattern and test a cylinder bored shotgun. I'd use 2F Goex or Schuetzen in it. Old blueprint paper or 4 foot square cardboard tacked to patterning board at Lupton range. Set up for 25 yards. Estill Ator recommended going up one gauge. I'll have to order some 10 gauge loading for an 11 gauge double barrel. You can order wads from Track or directly from those that supply TOTW. I like Circle Fly. Using lubed thick cushion wads between the powder and shot will blow holes in your pattern. I pin a safety pin on my hunting and game vest when chasing pheasants for perforating the over shot cards. Have Trius thrower and clays once you get it patterned.

I have pretty much stopped using the thick over powder cards and just use the thin cards. The load procedure I do in my 12 gauge double is two thin cards over the powder, a lubed felt wad then another thin shot card over the lubed felt wad. the shot gets poured onto that, then one more thin shot card on top of the shot. I cut a small nick in the edges of my thin shot cards to let the air out upon loading. I find if the edge isn't nicked, you can't hardly get the card to go down as the barrel is full of air. The nick in the edge lets the air out and lets you ram home the cards more easily.
Ohio Rusty ><>
cards.JPG

Just shot this today at 25yds. I only use the thin "over shot" cards for everything. I also get good patterns by not using the lubed fiber wad and just topping it off with 2 thin os cards instead. Everything else is useless in my opinion, you just have to find the right balance of powder, shot and the number of cards

75gr ffg swiss
4 thin os cards
1 5/8 #6 lead
1/2 lubed fiber was

And yes, the turkeys head fell off!
Nice 25yd pattern.
I have an older Pedersoli SxS 12ga with 30” barrels ( ( imp/mod) and I’ve tried all kinds of diff loads -4 diff shot sizes, diff wads, diff wad types, diff loading procedures, including the skychief loads & never got a pattern like that.
I quit trying to make a turkey gun out of it & bought a Knight TK2000. Now I’m pretty happy with a great 45yd pattern without TSS

Good info here. Urge you study pin on by Zonie. I have most all the cards and wads for 12 gauge. We should get out to the range to pattern and test a cylinder bored shotgun. I'd use 2F Goex or Schuetzen in it. Old blueprint paper or 4 foot square cardboard tacked to patterning board at Lupton range. Set up for 25 yards. Estill Ator recommended going up one gauge. I'll have to order some 10 gauge loading for an 11 gauge double barrel. You can order wads from Track or directly from those that supply TOTW. I like Circle Fly. Using lubed thick cushion wads between the powder and shot will blow holes in your pattern. I pin a safety pin on my hunting and game vest when chasing pheasants for perforating the over shot cards. Have Trius thrower and clays once you get it patterned.

I can get some 11 gauge from grandson. He won the 11 at a shoot off with and for the gun at Florence. He's back to school now but I can text him. He should know where that stuff is.

Ft Lupton new rules say max shot size 7 1/2. I have 8 and 6 so pattern with 8 and 6 for turkeys. I only have goex and Scheutzen 3f but should work with a bit of reduction. I have turkey patterning targets.

I can't do anything this week but probably next.

Latest posts

Back