• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your Favorite (poll)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.62 cal Virginia smooth rifle by Larry Cruise

.595 ball, .015 linen patch dry lubed with Ballistol, 3 os cards, 70 gr Goex fff

Ballistol/water cleaning solution, tow, Ballistol lube

PA/WV border Enlow Valley area
IMG_0926.jpg

Zilpha, my .54 Tennessee flintlock built by Roger Sells

85 grains Goex 2f, .535 ball, wonder-lubed ticking

Ballistol/water with flush kit

hardwoods N. Florida

Swampy said:
ebiggs said:
OK guys 270 views and 28 replies. Come on tell us your favorite gear.

Thats public education for ya, a lot of can't write and if theres no pictures....
Wrong. I've posted and come back read other posts 5 times. I suspect many of those extra posts are people returning to read what others have posted.

On another subject: Swamp Buck - I've actually been to Pelkie, MI, although I didn't know it at the time. I was doing the back road thing from L'Anse to Houghton. I understand why you picked it.

T/C Renegade .62 cal-Rice 33" rr rifled barrel.
100 gr. FFF-Goex .027 40 cotton duct patch.above 23 deg.s hoppes bps&lube-below 23 Stumps's moose snot in olive oil blend
.610 home cast round ball
FFFF-Goex prime.
hot tap water dawn dish soap- thin patch over bronze brush-Rem oil after drying.
Favorite place..Vertical jigging Walleyes on a very remote( 2 day paddle) Canadian Lake from a canoe with the Wife.

Swampy said:
ebiggs said:
ebiggs said:
This might be fun.
Here are the rules:
You can have ONLY one. No “also”, or “or”, or “plus”, or “and”, nothing additional just one. No, depends on the situation or circumstances.

Your favorite flintlock.
Your favorite load.
Your favorite cleaning method, and
your favorite place.

Don’t break the rules just one and only one of each item.
Remember there are no right or wrong answers just what would be your choice.
Mine are”¦”¦”¦
My 50 cal TC Hawken that I made.
70 grs of GOEX with .490 Bore Butter patched round ball.
Very hot water and Rem oil.
Right here in eastern Kansas.
EB

Thats public education for ya, a lot of can't write and if theres no pictures....

The reason I haven't answered is the constraints of the question don't match much of anything I do.

Your favorite flintlock.

I have five of them ranging from .32 to .58. I have built them all.

Each have their own place depending upon what I am doing at the time. Kind of like going for your favorite child.

Your favorite load.

Whatever gives the smallest group. This can vary even with rifles of the same caliber. I spit patch for lube.

Your favorite cleaning method

This one I can do. All of them get the same treatment. Soap and water clean with room temperature water. When clean run two patches of Ballistol water combination down to kill the soap and catch any graphite left over and a Ballistol patch to preserve everything.

your favorite place.

wherever I'm shooting at the time. I shoot a lot of competition all over the state of Wyoming. Some places are better than others but any place I'm shooting is good.

[/quote]

OK guys 270 views and 28 replies. Come on tell us your favorite gear.[/quote]

Belt pouch (containing tools,patch material and extra balls), (small) sheath knife on the belt, single powderhorn (for both charging and priming) and a haversack (containing coffee, jerkey and a sandwich or two).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Today my fav gun is my 20 bore 46" oct/round English smoothrifle walnut stock built by my hand.

Load is 80 grs fff spit patch cut at the muzzle and a .600 cal round ball.

warsh it up with hot water

huntin' the pines next to my property...that big ole buck hold up in the thick stuff.

...the 'morow my fav and tale will likely change ...the power of black powder beware...

DSC03408-1.jpg

Favorite gear? For what purpose! I can't choose just one gun that can do it all, that is why there is more than one gun. What would you say if you were asked which one was your favorite child?

But, I clean all with regular water and Ballistol.

I hunt mostly on our farm.

- My Pedersoli Frontier in 45 cal -
- 56 grains of ZF Swiss BP
- patches .20 thick with Wonder Lube
- Wash with hot water and some soap - rinse and dry, then a patch with wonder lube.
- Open air shooting club in Clinge Holland, just over the border

mykeal said:
Swampy said:
ebiggs said:

Wrong. I've posted and come back read other posts 5 times. I suspect many of those extra posts are people returning to read what others have posted.

On another subject: Swamp Buck - I've actually been to Pelkie, MI, although I didn't know it at the time. I was doing the back road thing from L'Anse to Houghton. I understand why you picked it.

It had nothing to do with you and it got a few more to post didn't it? So do don't get your pantys in a bunch.

Favourite flint, Lyman GPR 50 cal, taken apart redone wood and metal, might as well have been a kit,
target load 50gr 3f 490 lee ball walyworld ticking ballistol 6:1 lube
cleaned with dish soap and water, using wd40 for oiling for now
favourite shooting at the range here in southern chester county pa

.40 calibre (colerain radius groove rifling A weight) southern mountain rifle i build a while ago.

.385 cast roundball, borebutter in cotton fabric i found at JoAnn Fabrics.

cleans up well with plain old soapy water.

i go into my own back yard.

make good smoke!

Arm: 14 bore custom English trade gun / fowler with a tapered 48" barrel built by Roy Stroh. Just plain love that gun. (Followed closely by a .45 Southern rifle he also built.)

Load: I can use so many different loads for so many different purposes in that gun that I couldn't list them all.

Cleaning is with whatever water I've got & plenty of tow, wipe out with cloth until clean & dry, oil lightly in the field. More thorough at home, and touch up fairly often.

Place: Wherever I can get away with making smoke! (Usually in the SC lowland woods & swamps.)

This might be fun.
Here are the rules:
You can have ONLY one. No “also”, or “or”, or “plus”, or “and”, nothing additional just one. No, depends on the situation or circumstances.

Your favorite flintlock.
Your favorite load.
Your favorite cleaning method, and
your favorite place.

Don’t break the rules just one and only one of each item.
Remember there are no right or wrong answers just what would be your choice.
Mine are”¦”¦”¦
My 50 cal TC Hawken that I made.
70 grs of 3f GOEX with .490 Bore Butter .018 patched round ball. 4f pan powder.
Very hot water and Rem oil.
Right here in eastern Kansas.

These are the rules you must choose ONE and only one. The "Flintlock Police" knocked at your door and said you can have only one rifle.
EB

Hey!
The "Flintlock Police" knocked at your door and said you can have only one rifle.

You're changin' the rules. That's a whole lot different than "your favorite". If this is a "you can only have one gun, so what'll it be poll", then versatility comes much more into play.
I shoot the gun that I wrote about earlier much more than any other but it wouldn't be the one I'd pick if I could have only a single MLer.
Pete

No the rules are the same. That reply was to Mike2005 because he wanted to pick many guns instead of one.

There are no winners or losers but does it seem like home built or kits are popular.

My sporty 40
50 gr fff 395 ball 18 th patch greased with lard
windex
Duck valley Iowa

John Donelson .54 Lehigh flinter

85 gr FFFg with Moose Snot patched .530" round ball

Soapy water (Murphy's oil soap) followed with an alcohol wipe and then Beechwood Casey Sheath

Outdoors - usually my back lot.

PS - should only be RIFLES in this section. ;-)

Back