• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You got it ALL wrong, son…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first muzzle loader was a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken kit that I still have. Draw filled, sanded, and blued the barrel. Sanded and polished the brass. Fitted the brass parts to the stock. Sanded, stained, and finished the stock. It was a learning experience. I learned to do the barrel tennon pins on a couple of CVA colonial pistols. Turned out well the first time but I can say starting that drill through the first time was scary. First time I browned parts was a real learning experience. Took some trial and error to get the process down. Take it slow. One piece of advice. As you are sanding the stock keep checking the fitment of the metal parts like the butt plate, trigger guard, and tang so you don't take off too much wood.

Last edited:
My first muzzle loader was a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken kit that I still have. Draw filled, sanded, and blued the barrel. Sanded and polished the brass. Fitted the brass parts to the stock. Sanded, stained, and finished the stock. It was a learning experience. I learned to do the barrel tennon pins on a couple of CVA colonial pistols. Turned out well the first time but I can say starting that drill through the first time was scary. First time I browned parts was a real learning experience. Took some trial and error to get the process down. Take it slow. One piece of advice. As you are sanding the stock keep checking the fitment of the metal parts like the butt plate, trigger guard, and tang so you don't take off too much.
I’ve been watching videos of browning the barrel with Birchwood Casey’s plum brown. Probably going that route, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I’ve been watching videos of browning the barrel with Birchwood Casey’s plum brown. Probably going that route, unless someone convinces me otherwise.
I use Track of the Wolf browning solution but the Casey browning is easy to use. I don't use steel wool between applications. I use a piece of denim. If you use steel wool be real gentle with it. Real easy to take too much of the browning off.

@Panama Red, good on you for weighing the pros and cons before making a decision. It is good to get some practice in before making a Kibler kit. You will get a feel for how the tools work and how to make the tools work for you.

Since it's getting warmer, I like to use my van as a browning oven. I made a simple fixture to hold my barrel. I used the Track "cold" blue in the hot van. Only a few applications got me an even dark brown, almost black finish that I like better than the Plum Brown.

There is a thread or two on the forum on building the Tradition's kit. Follow the Kibler videos as you finish up your kit. You should be able to work through any of the differences.

While we may disparage much of the components of Tradition's rifles, the barrels are often very good. Enjoy your new rifle.

Last edited:
I don’t blame you one bit, the first kit I built was a pistol, I spent around 100$ on it waaaay back when. I jacked it up a little.. I fixed it, but I was pretty irritated with myself. Now, imagine if I had spent 1000$ or so on a rifle kit and THEN jacked it up…I’m no master builder by any means and carving is somthing I’m just now learning… engraving is next!

For a bit there I thought "cancel culture" had come to MLF. Good on youse guys for rooting it out! 👏 😀
Never been accused of being cancel culture before. Man, I’m so inclusive it ain’t funny. If you want to wear a skirt and call yourself Madame Margaret while shooting your longrifle, that’s fine by me. Everyone is entitled to their black powder fantasies I guess…
First time I ever heard the term “youse guys” was way back in basic training. Had a guy from Pennsylvania somewhere. It doesn’t get tossed around down this way too often, lol.
When I was in the 11th grade, we moved from rural north Florida to Washington DC. I didn’t make many friends for a while, until I turned out a good piece of work in art class, then I got to be friends with a couple of the guys. So I ask them, why the heck didn’t anyone talk to me for the past three months. They said, “Well, from the way you talk, we thought you were mentally handicapped.” I guess slower, and “drawlier” equates to mental issues.
Anyways, I married a girl from just south of Detroit. We went to Michigan for her grandmothers funeral, and out to the bar for a few beers, as part of the wake, I guess, or maybe just because we like beer a whole lot, and the woman tending bar kept calling me “Hillbilly”… I guess that makes me from the mountains of Florida. And everyone knows, here in the mountains of Florida, we are very inclusive.

@Panama Red, good on you for weighing the pros and cons before making a decision. It is good to get some practice in before making a Kibler kit. You will get a feel for how the tools work and how to make the tools work for you.

Since it's getting warmer, I like to use my van as a browning oven. I made a simple fixture to hold my barrel. I used the Track "cold" blue in the hot van. Only a few applications got me an even dark brown, almost black finish that I like better than the Plum Brown.

There is a thread or two on the forum on building the Tradition's kit. Follow the Kibler videos as you finish up your kit. You should be able to work through any of the differences.

While we may disparage much of the components of Tradition's rifles, the barrels are often very good. Enjoy your new rifle.
Thanks! I’ll look in to TotW’s stuff. They keep coming up in conversation!

I don’t blame you one bit, the first kit I built was a pistol, I spent around 100$ on it waaaay back when. I jacked it up a little.. I fixed it, but I was pretty irritated with myself. Now, imagine if I had spent 1000$ or so on a rifle kit and THEN jacked it up…I’m no master builder by any means and carving is somthing I’m just now learning… engraving is next!
I’ve been watching some carving videos. One guy was doing his first attempt at carving, botched it pretty bad. I’ve got a nice set of chisels that a great uncle gave me years ago. He used to carve birds. Pretty sure I will carve my fingertips, lol. Lots of red birds…
I just went out to the barn and dug out the chisels today. Going to practice on a few 2x4’s.
Haven’t even considered engraving. That’s a whole ‘nother set of tools.

Never been accused of being cancel culture before. Man, I’m so inclusive it ain’t funny. If you want to wear a skirt and call yourself Madame Margaret while shooting your longrifle, that’s fine by me. Everyone is entitled to their black powder fantasies I guess…
First time I ever heard the term “youse guys” was way back in basic training. Had a guy from Pennsylvania somewhere. It doesn’t get tossed around down this way too often, lol.
When I was in the 11th grade, we moved from rural north Florida to Washington DC. I didn’t make many friends for a while, until I turned out a good piece of work in art class, then I got to be friends with a couple of the guys. So I ask them, why the heck didn’t anyone talk to me for the past three months. They said, “Well, from the way you talk, we thought you were mentally handicapped.” I guess slower, and “drawlier” equates to mental issues.
Anyways, I married a girl from just south of Detroit. We went to Michigan for her grandmothers funeral, and out to the bar for a few beers, as part of the wake, I guess, or maybe just because we like beer a whole lot, and the woman tending bar kept calling me “Hillbilly”… I guess that makes me from the mountains of Florida. And everyone knows, here in the mountains of Florida, we are very inclusive.

Well, that response was a mystery to me until I double checked myself. I'll admit to having fat thumbs when responding on this cell phone but this time I really did it up. My response that you quoted was supposed to be in this topic

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...onsor-of-this-site.162714/page-3#post-2320673
Which you may or may not see as appropriate in the context of that topic. 😀

Having grown up in the UP, i can assure you that "youse guys" was very common in that part of Michigan.

I've also lived in Florida and worked in dc while living in Northern Virginia. You come across as more of a Georgia boy than some of the cranky transplants that surrounded me in South Florida. I was done with that in less than a year. 😀

Now, one of my daughters married a florida/Georgia boy that meets with 110% approval on my part so you would probably meet with the same in the real world 🌎 😀

So, to stay on topic, you will find that Kentuck to be a surprisingly good shooter. I've seen many of them being shot at various venues and they have all shot very well. In fact, I have one on my bench at this very moment that I picked up recently as a kit. I will probably give it to one of my grandkids though. I've got more ml stuff than I ever needed.

I’ve been watching some carving videos. One guy was doing his first attempt at carving, botched it pretty bad. I’ve got a nice set of chisels that a great uncle gave me years ago. He used to carve birds. Pretty sure I will carve my fingertips, lol. Lots of red birds…
I just went out to the barn and dug out the chisels today. Going to practice on a few 2x4’s.
Haven’t even considered engraving. That’s a whole ‘nother set of tools.
I use an exacto knife, apply pressure with it and follow your pencil lines, that cuts a nice line for your lock molding lobes as well as your barrel tang molding. It also works well for incise carving.

Yep. I get a rifle to practice browning a barrel and finishing a stock, without the worry of ruining a 1500 dollar rifle… I still got the Kibler money, and it will come home with me one day. I’m going to practice on this thing first. If it comes out looking like manure, imagine how happy I will be that I didn’t practice on a Kibler…
You could buy shelf board and steel pipe for a lot cheaper to practice on too, and buy a better grade gun kit for when you dial in your efforts. Well just be prepared for sub par wood to metal fit, poorly fitted butt plate, low grade lock, etc. Just don't expect filet mignon on a burger budget and you won't be dissatisfied.

The first and only kit I've built is a Traditions Kentucky rifle. It's far from perfect but I like it and that's all that really matters. I did customize it just a tad by converting it from pinned to wedged barrel retention. I don't want to start an argument about the need, but I like to remove the barrel when I clean.

I haven't had any problems with the lock and the rifle shoots good.

Browning barrel, Laurel Mountain Forge is a nice solution. Now the Traditions rock sparker, it will work out fine, no matter if you make a unwanted slip. Thats a learning curve, take it slow watch n check it as you go. I have a Woodsman Hawken .50 cal rock sparker, no complaints, its decently accurate. It has only had a hiccup when it was me messing up. Tick toters are in trouble this Fall

Well, that response was a mystery to me until I double checked myself. I'll admit to having fat thumbs when responding on this cell phone but this time I really did it up. My response that you quoted was supposed to be in this topic

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...onsor-of-this-site.162714/page-3#post-2320673
Which you may or may not see as appropriate in the context of that topic. 😀

Having grown up in the UP, i can assure you that "youse guys" was very common in that part of Michigan.

I've also lived in Florida and worked in dc while living in Northern Virginia. You come across as more of a Georgia boy than some of the cranky transplants that surrounded me in South Florida. I was done with that in less than a year. 😀

Now, one of my daughters married a florida/Georgia boy that meets with 110% approval on my part so you would probably meet with the same in the real world 🌎 😀

So, to stay on topic, you will find that Kentuck to be a surprisingly good shooter. I've seen many of them being shot at various venues and they have all shot very well. In fact, I have one on my bench at this very moment that I picked up recently as a kit. I will probably give it to one of my grandkids though. I've got more ml stuff than I ever needed.
HAHAHAHAHA! Man, that’s awesome! I was trying my hardest to figure out the punchline to the joke there! I was like, not sure where the cancel culture comes in to this… but here we go!”

And, South Florida? They can keep everything down there. We’re less than an hour from the Georgia border, way out in the north FL woods. No mountains though, lol!

Looking forward to building and shooting this thing!

Latest posts

Back