• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions needed...too "out there" for a long rifle or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycho Mike

Free Cdn
Reaction score
Hey gang,

So, for those who read my intro post, you know I had one of the Lyman Plains Rifles "way back when." It wasn't the Great Plains, but rather more like one of the "off the rack" Hawken style MLs you see these days. The big difference was this one was finished quite light (think honey colored stock that nearly blended with the brass hardware). It had a big, dark knot in the comb and turned a lot of heads...I let that one get away from me and I kinda regret it now.

My question for the group is this: would trying to get a similar finish on a Kibler Woods Runner be tantamount to sacrilege? Most full stock long guns I see are deep brown or red finishes that really highlight the curl (tiger striped) with matching dark finished barrels and locks.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a carved maple stock, a few passes of aniline fruitwood or pecan (sanded between...to bring up the curl, but not go overly dark...maybe a little torch highlighting of the carving too) and then go to BLO, followed by sealing it all with a wax, or cut spar urethane as a sealer / protector. For the barrel and lock, I was thinking maybe a little mustard treatment and Scotchbright pad work....or cold blue and backing it off with steel wool or fine emery paper...something to get a little protection and color, but not a lot. The brass work would be kept fairly bright (though not high polish...if I want to use this as a hunting rifle too, I don't want to be flashing the critters too much ;) ).

It would certainly be a different look than the current "typical" long rifle... I'm just wondering if it might be too atypical. I dropped a picture of a Plains Rifle (not the one I had) in as my avatar, in case that helps to visualize things better.

Thoughts?

Three originals one blonde
I suspect there were more and many of our dark are oxidized and pateniaed
IMG_6509.jpeg

I'm not a fan of light or blonde colored stocks. I've seen plenty of them on here though.

The Schreit rifle is lighter colored as well...I, went with a lighter shade on my WR... :)

Nchawkeye, I think you're in my ballpark there. I'd probably aim for that color of curl and a little lighter honey color overall. Don't get me wrong, I'm not after a "no color" / clear finish of the raw wood...just a very light finish (golden blond, if you will).

What did you do to brown your lock and barrel? It seems to compliment the wood well.

Around here, I see a good number of light-ish Hawkens...most with brass hardware. The kits / off the rack rifles with steel furnishings tend to be blacked (blued) out (i.e. the TC version). My Plains made them all seem quite dark...I need to go digging for a photo to share. It really was a "what the...?" finish and when I sold it, it went faster than the Bess (which was snapped up pdq as is).

I think it grew on me and I have such fond memories of it (it was my first ML and accounted for far, far too many prairie dogs) that a tribute piece is in order ;)

I've not seen any old KYs that still have original finish looking "white". I have never seen a "southern" gun in beech. Ever. Not once.
Is not maple white?, every one I’ve built is. It has to be stained to be dark.
I’ve not seen any Bean rifles in life, but plans I had from Track of The Wolf for a Bean rifle was on beech

I think most of the original longrifles we see are dark because of age. When we finish our builds do we favor dark finishes because we want to copy those age darkened originals? Personally I don't care for the very dark stocks. I prefer to think of what my gun would have looked like when it was new in the 18th Century. Maybe they actually did finish them dark, I don't know.

Latest posts

Back