• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You got it ALL wrong, son…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading up on whether to slot or not slot my barrel lugs right now. More research to do…

I'm slotting for wedges just for the practice. I need it!!

Here's a picture of my first pin drilling job. 😀
20230419_081216_copy_600x1495.jpg

The second one was worse. 🤣

It's a good idea to get a couple of the building guide books even though it's a kit. When something isn't right on the kit it will help you understand what is wrong, and what it needs to be right.

Yep. I get a rifle to practice browning a barrel and finishing a stock, without the worry of ruining a 1500 dollar rifle… I still got the Kibler money, and it will come home with me one day. I’m going to practice on this thing first. If it comes out looking like manure, imagine how happy I will be that I didn’t practice on a Kibler…
Lot of us here had starter wives…

I bought a centering jig from RE Davis and a small bench top drill press. Makes drilling the pins and bolts easy. I use a small shelf with grow lights, a metal pan of hot water, and a queen size plastic mattress cover to make what I call a rusting tent for browning. Works very well. It’s super dry where I live.

Way to think it thu, nothing wrong with getting some practice is on a new skill and you'll end of with a couple of guns in the end. And don't sell those traditions too short, I know they are not high end but the 1 my son shoots and a couple others I've seen, will shoot very good groups. My sons will cloverleaf all day at 50 yds and is mostly reliable as long as we do our part.

Yep. I get a rifle to practice browning a barrel and finishing a stock, without the worry of ruining a 1500 dollar rifle… I still got the Kibler money, and it will come home with me one day. I’m going to practice on this thing first. If it comes out looking like manure, imagine how happy I will be that I didn’t practice on a Kibler…
How would you ruin it? If you screw up the browning you remove it and start over. Kibler’s stuff is so well made and simple that a child could do it. I think you don’t understand. Oh well

I will tell you I am a gun butcher extraordinaire. I dream of being a gunsmith, but realized that will never happen. I do some basic things on unmentionables for the last 30 years now with limited success. With all that said, I built my Kibler SMR knowing I wanted it to be VERY no frills with brass black metal finish, basic oil finish on the walnut stock. I could not be happier with how it turned out. You did the right thing but take your time, ask questions and both it and The Kibler will be excellent guns for you.

Well I have built CVAs and assembled a TC Hawkens from parts. That is really a story. Learning is a good part before you drop a grand and more on a quality rifle. I have a Kibler SMR kit and I plan to take time to build it. The wood looks like it will be beautiful.

Well I have built CVAs and assembled a TC Hawkens from parts. That is really a story. Learning is a good part before you drop a grand and more on a quality rifle. I have a Kibler SMR kit and I plan to take time to build it. The wood looks like it will be beautiful.
Did you see the stock his wife was putting the iron nitrate on? Holy smokes what a beautiful piece of wood. It’s a shame the CNC messed it up…

How would you ruin it? If you screw up the browning you remove it and start over. Kibler’s stuff is so well made and simple that a child could do it. I think you don’t understand. Oh well
Why do so many act like I am a fool for purchasing an inexpensive rifle to practice on? It’s my money. If I want to spend 500 bucks to learn a new trick, what’s it to them? I never said this was the end all, be all, of flintlocks. It’s an inexpensive rifle. It will have its shortcomings. I’ll do the dead level best I can to make it as nice as I can. And then, when I get the Kibler, I will make it as nice as I can. And then one day, I hope to carve my own stock from a plank of cherry wood I cut off my own farm, order all the pieces individually, and assemble my very own rifle. And when I get there, I will poo poo everyone who hasn’t fashioned their own stock from wood they have cut from their own farm…
Geeeeez…

Why do so many act like I am a fool for purchasing an inexpensive rifle to practice on? It’s my money. If I want to spend 500 bucks to learn a new trick, what’s it to them? I never said this was the end all, be all, of flintlocks. It’s an inexpensive rifle. It will have its shortcomings. I’ll do the dead level best I can to make it as nice as I can. And then, when I get the Kibler, I will make it as nice as I can. And then one day, I hope to carve my own stock from a plank of cherry wood I cut off my own farm, order all the pieces individually, and assemble my very own rifle. And when I get there, I will poo poo everyone who hasn’t fashioned their own stock from wood they have cut from their own farm…
Geeeeez…
Well said sir.

Honestly I’m more intrigued when someone takes an inexpensive traditions kit and turns it into a nice looking specimen than I am a kibler gun.
There’s one guy in here, I stumbled on his thread while digging around about this rifle, who did an amazing job with it. Had some cool inlays, a bit of carving. Made a nice looking gun. One of the things that helped to sway me this direction. The Kibler will be a much simpler kit to assemble, I just don’t want to lay out that kind of money for a first attempt. Heck, it may not be until my third or fourth… ok, what the heck? Why is everything bold now? I feel like I’m really stressing a point here, HAHAHAHA!
Let me go figure out this phone keyboard…

My only suggestion is to stock up on flints now. Usually there is no problem finding them, but occ. they are scarce, and like primers....we need em to go bang. Pretty much whenever I order anything from Track of the Wolfs I will order an extra dozen.
Thanks! I missed this post somehow. That’s good info to know!
Government will probably start regulating flint now that I’m getting in the hobby…

after all said and done I think you will find that it shoots as well as that $1500 kit
I don’t expect it to be on the level of the more expensive gun. It shouldn’t be. If Jim wasn’t putting out that much better of a product, he wouldn’t be getting the money he is. I do hope this one turns out nice, and shoots well.
If it does perform well, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. If it doesn’t, I’ll gain some knowledge on the workings of a flintlock, what makes them tick.
I’m wondering how many of these guys busting on the poor old Traditions bought the regular old F-150, or did they lay out the extra 70,000 for the King Ranch edition. That bottom end F-150 will get the job done, but the leather in that King Ranch will make you want to sit in it naked…

I'm slotting for wedges just for the practice. I need it!!

Here's a picture of my first pin drilling job. 😀
View attachment 215888

The second one was worse. 🤣

It's a good idea to get a couple of the building guide books even though it's a kit. When something isn't right on the kit it will help you understand what is wrong, and what it needs to be right.
You should have practiced that on a few Kiblers first… LOL!
I’ll check in to the books. There are a ton of YouTube videos on this stuff as well.
I removed the whole dash out of a Ford Exploder, repaired the heater core, and reinstalled the dash, all following a YouTube video.
Right now I’m waiting on Muzzle-Loaders.com to respond to an email. Apparently they aren’t at the office this week.

Back