• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

year t/c hawkin made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How can I find year my thompson center hawkins was manufactured. Serial # 295xxx ?

It was made about 5000 before one of my T/C Hawken was. Unfortunatly, I don't know when mine was made as I bought it used.

I seem to recall reading the serial number records are one of the things that went up in smoke during the T/C fire a number of years ago.

We'll have to wait for roundball to stop by. If anyone knows, he should.

Zonie said:
It was made about 5000 before one of my T/C Hawken was. Unfortunatly, I don't know when mine was made as I bought it used.

I seem to recall reading the serial number records are one of the things that went up in smoke during the T/C fire a number of years ago.

We'll have to wait for roundball to stop by. If anyone knows, he should.

I agree with[url] Zonie...in[/url] the past when I've called TC that was the answer I was given.

That said, the fire is getting longer and longer ago every year...so you might still call them, because your S/N may have been made since the fire...you never know

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a T/C Hawken that I bought in a pawn shop a few years ago, 352xxx s/n. From what I have picked up on the forum. T/C started putting the AQL in the muzzle about 1995. My rifle doesn't have the AQL so I assume it was made before 1995. My rifle does not have the upgraded rear tang screw, so it was made before that change, havn't been able to date that change. One thing that I have noticed about my rifle that is different from most of the rifles that members have posted pictures of on the forum, is my rifle barrel doesn't have the cleanout screw in the shell? next to the nipple. It has a plug in the left side of the breach plug that you can just barely see the screwdiver slot above the stock with the barrel installed. Perhaps someone can date some of those changes for us, so we can pinpoint the date of manufacture a little closer.

Robert

Robert58 said:
I have a T/C Hawken that I bought in a pawn shop a few years ago, 352xxx s/n. From what I have picked up on the forum. T/C started putting the AQL in the muzzle about 1995. My rifle doesn't have the AQL so I assume it was made before 1995. My rifle does not have the upgraded rear tang screw, so it was made before that change, havn't been able to date that change. One thing that I have noticed about my rifle that is different from most of the rifles that members have posted pictures of on the forum, is my rifle barrel doesn't have the cleanout screw in the shell? next to the nipple. It has a plug in the left side of the breach plug that you can just barely see the screwdiver slot above the stock with the barrel installed. Perhaps someone can date some of those changes for us, so we can pinpoint the date of manufacture a little closer.

Robert

Theres a good chance one of the old timers at the TC repair shop could get it close, within a 5 year bracket or something...they should have a pretty good working knowledge of when various changes were cut into production...with that large of a S/N, I'd swag it was probably late 80's to early 90's.

But even then, that would only apply to the barrel itself...might not even be the original barrel / stock combo, as often as the interchangeable parts are bought and sold separately

Hope I'm not off topic but here goes. I've two renegadges that share the same lock with TC hawkens. Some appear to have more parts made of stainless (inside the lock). Anyone notice this, if so may be an other clue as to date of manufacture?

My 54 Renegade's serial# is 377910. It is Left Hand and they no longer manufacture LH barrels as during the fire in 1997 the machines used for LH were destroyed and they have not replaced the machinery needed to make LH barrels. They do have a supply left for replacement and warranty stuff is what I was told Friday.
It had to be made before the fire in 1997. This may help some who are trying to put a timeline on their barrels. I guessed mine was made around 1994-1997 as I bought it new in box from another fellow who had it for several years and had never taken out of box.
Jim in Idaho

Assuming the T/C Kit guns were using the same serial number series, perhaps I can shed some light on the year your gun was made.

A few years ago, I bought a T/C .54 caliber Kit which had the bill of sale from MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY still in the box. (I still have the bill of sale and the letter from the original buyer.)

It seems the original buyer decided he didn't want to build the gun so everything was brand new when I bought it.

The Bill of sale is dated 5-19-81 and the price was $124.13 (including shipping and handleing).

The serial number of this gun is K2374xx

By the way, I refer to this gun as my Gopher Gun because out to 50 yards, it will shoot consistant groups of 1 inch with a PRB without even trying hard.

Zonie said:
Assuming the T/C Kit guns were using the same serial number series, perhaps I can shed some light on the year your gun was made.

A few years ago, I bought a T/C .54 caliber Kit which had the bill of sale from MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY still in the box. (I still have the bill of sale and the letter from the original buyer.)

It seems the original buyer decided he didn't want to build the gun so everything was brand new when I bought it.

The Bill of sale is dated 5-19-81 and the price was $124.13 (including shipping and handleing).

The serial number of this gun is K2374xx

By the way, I refer to this gun as my Gopher Gun because out to 50 yards, it will shoot consistant groups of 1 inch with a PRB without even trying hard.

Zonie, is that with the TC factory 1:48" barrel?

roundball: Yes. This is the 1 inch octagon .54 caliber 1:48 twist barrel.

Did you know that Thompson Center catalog #8 had a nice mounted Bear Head on the cover and says the price of a finished Hawken is $255 (caplock) and $265 (flintlock)?
A new Renegade was $195 (caplock) and $200 (flintlock).

The kit I bought must have been on sale because the T/C catalog says the price for the .54 was $175.
A Breechplug removal wrench was $2.50
A new lock sit you back $34.50 (Flintlock $42.50).

This old catalog was also in the box with the rifle when I bought it. :grin:

The "K" refers to "kit". This is one good way to tell if at least the barrel was from a kit gun or not. Factory assy. guns had no "K" in the ser. no.I bought a new factory assy. gun at Christmas 1979( I think of it as 1980). The price then was $139. Two friends and myself bought them at the same time. Funny how back then, the 45cal. was extremely popular, at least in my area, and most people at that time kind of shunned the 54cal. as too big to be needed. Times have changed and now the 45cal. is rarely seen around here anyhow.

Zonie:
I figured it was a 1:48"...they shoot PRB's great don't they...
PS: I've collected all of TC's catalogs except two...still need to get their 2nd and 3rd year's catalogs and I'll have them.

DaveK:
And you may know that TC discontinued the .45cal altogether several years ago...a favorite caliber of mine...have always said if I could only keep one RIFLE, I'd make it a .45cal x 1:48" Flinter...the 128grn balls and 255grn maxihunters are tack drivers in them.

my renegade with serial # 377,XXX had the price still on box and handbook and it was $249.95 at the time the guy bought it new. It had never been out of box, had all tags attached, etc. I paid him $175.00 for it and never been fired or assembled.
Prices now on same gun are $399.00...just to give you an idea of how they have went up in price. I am guessing early 90's or mid 90's on this one.
Jim

just looked at my owners manual that came with renegade and the price was $269.95 on sale and the print date on back page for ownerl's manual was 11/94 so this one is newer than 1994 with serial # 377,XXX
Jim

Called T/C, 295xxx made in 80's, first hawkins made in 1970. Thanks for info, and Merry Christmas

My TC hawken is a 204XXX. Got it from my father and Im guessing he got it between 1975 and 80.

Latest posts

Back