• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woven Woven Everywhere

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old saying of swinging a dead cat and your bound to hit an expert seems to apply to anything and everything, especially in this American history re-enactment topic(s).

The answer is clear. DO YOUR OWN DEGREE OF AUTHENICITY AND TO FISHFEATHERS WHAT THE OTHERS THINK!

Participating and enjoying our sport, yes a SPORT OR HOBBY and nothing more. People do this stuff because it gives them a chance to step back in history a bit and try to get a feel what some of the life style may of been like. It also gives us a feel of belonging with and bounding with others who enjoy the same thing, as well as forming life long friendships on the way.

I think that one of the most common crafts popular in the re-enactor crafts folks in more recent years is this weaving called "Inkle Weaving". __ It is easy to learn and relaxing to do. The modern mind seems to want too bright of colors and go for pretty than muter tones. Wrong types of patterns and yards being used (some using acrylic yards) and usually over time these crafters get educated through comments and research, but the thing to give them credit for, is that they are working to educated themselves (some).

I have been around in this hobby for a long time and have seen a lot of folks come and go since my early years in the 70's. I don't know all of the answers to anything, but let's all set back and take a deep breath to be less critical or a thread counter and dodge that dead cat swinging our way.

Please take a look again at my signature below!

Sorry for ranting,
Rick

To All,

I just got to this thread, and I have to say it is most enjoyable and informative, and the level of civility far exceeds what is sometimes found in these "HC/PC" threads.

I have never woven anything other than a tall tale (or, as the Wife would call them, "Golden Tongued Alibis" :grin:), but I find the weaving lore on here to be most interesting, and likewise the reasoned distinctions made by members as regards various degrees of "PC/HC". I don't recall a similar thread where these positions have been put so clearly, or in such a gentle manner.

And to OhioRamm, I stand on my response in your bag strap thread. You do credit to any endeavor you attempt.

Thank you, all.

Richard/Grumpa

The pattern that have been shown as woven on the inkle loom can also be woven on the tape loop, box loom, or the paddle loom.

I have a book on weaving that contains this particular bit of information with a nice picture of a paddle loom:

TapeLoom.jpg

All you need is some place to tie the warp (or weft) to anchor the tape as the tape (or inkle) is woven.

I did the weaving on the two straps in the next picture. The single strap for the top horn was woven from hemp cording on a simple tape loom. the second strap with the two horns is finger woven of natural dyed wool.

Horns.jpg

The bottom line here is with respect to the tape looms, once the tape is removed from the loom, if the material is correct, then the tape or strap is correct.

Ohio Ramm keep up the good work and remember that old Latin motto, "Non Corborundum Illegitimi"

The polite translation is "Don't let adversity wear you down."

Wow! I missed out on this whole conversation....

Weaving interests me... :hmm:

Ohio Ramm,.....Your weaving is very beautiful.....The green one is my favorite. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

P.S. Notice how none of the critics posted pictures of their HC/PC work?.... :hmm:

Ok folks,First this weave is not a inkle pattern.This is a open warp weave pattern.This pattern can be done on a box loom or tape loom.It is HC/PC sorry folks.I can do this weave pattern on my six heddle loom, inkle loom or box loom and I can do this pattern on a back loom.Inkle looms can on the scene 1920-1930.Sorry its not about the loom one uses.And they did use cotton. If one would like more info ask,I'd be happy to answer your ? Some of you know who I am. I do know a little something about this subject.This pattern is HC-PC .Sorry folks you have it worry.Look up tape loom and a open warp weave pattern.They had hundreds of folks weaving this pattern in Europe on box looms and tape loom. :hatsoff:

Lynn,
What where the different uses for "tape"?
Other than sashes, leg ties, hat bands, and horn straps....?

Or, what other items where made on small looms like an inkle or box loom?

These tape were used on clothes,items like hem on shirts and dresses.They could be and were use on bags and possibly horns and more.There is a bag maker we all know that has a picture of a bag from years past that has a open warp strap pattern on the bag. I have made two just like it over the years.Again this weave pattern has been around for a long time folks. It's not about what one use's(loom)to make this pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
At Pricketts Fort we use tape for garters, straps for aprons, sometimes hat bands. Tape is better for stocking garters than for leggings, but it works pretty well on the latter, too.

Lynn, How come you are so sorry about everything?

I think that folks here are looking for common use in the Colonies and common documented use in America in general.

Ron,I'm not sorry.People need to get the facts right.This is not a inkle weave pattern.We had this talk eight years ago.The proof is out there.I've been doing this for a long time and know of what I'm talking about.Your talking about a tool.I can tell you 95% of the things we use in the hobby are made with new technology.Do you use a lath to turn your plugs on your horns?Must horner's I know do.That's not PC-HC.It's a "TOOL" :hatsoff: Sorry for missed spelling a few words up top

colorado clyde,There is no such critter.Tallwife this was a post that we had on another forum.To the person that started this post:Use 8/4 cotton thread,stay away from wool until you get the process down. Use simple patterns,Shades of Browns,Black,shades of blues,Red,and white.Very little green.Just keep it simple keep your thread tight and have fun with it. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I have been using all sorts of colors. I have found that I like using cotton more than wool. I have also made lots of sashes with blaze orange for orange regulation during hunting season, those seem to be very popular.

Thanks for all the great input!

Short Arm said:
Ron,I'm not sorry.People need to get the facts right.This is not a inkle weave pattern.We had this talk eight years ago.The proof is out there.I've been doing this for a long time and know of what I'm talking about.Your talking about a tool.I can tell you 95% of the things we use in the hobby are made with new technology.Do you use a lath to turn your plugs on your horns?Must horner's I know do.That's not PC-HC.It's a "TOOL" :hatsoff: Sorry for missed spelling a few words up top

Lynn, First my name is Rick, not Ron, but that is neither here or there. I guess I don't remember the conversation 8 years ago, but hell, I can't remember a conversation with anyone from last year.__ Hell to get old!

Your opinion is as good as anybody's, so thank you for yours.

RICK............ :rotf:

Back