• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Target?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been working up squirrel/rabbit loads in my trade gun. Using #6 shot as I’ve had good luck with it in unmentionables.

So aside from patterning, I’d like to shoot at a target that would replicate or prove safe lethality and penetration of the animal.

I want to be sure the pellets have sufficient penetration for a clean kill and ideally would go through and through to keep lead out of the meat.

Any thoughts on what would be an appropriate target are appreciated. I thought of maybe a Cornish hen carcass but those are pricey. Maybe some chicken thighs or wings?

Thanks!

If you want to shoot real meat here is a tip that might help: do you have a grocery store near you that has a reduced meat section? We've got two of them. I buy lots of beef out of those cases but tend to stay away from the reduced chicken and pork. More often than not they are both bad before you get them home. But packs of chicken parts and thin pork roasts are super cheap. Might be some good targets with plenty of coyote bait when you're done.

If your shooting a .62 caliber/20 gauge gun, then a square load of 65 grains powder and 65 grains #6 shot will get the job done. At least it does for me at reasonable distances.

As far as a target, maybe grapefruit or oranges?

Hunting with a shotgun you are pretty much guaranteed to get pellets. Just be thorough when cleaning. Some seem to always squeak by though. If you want passthroughs on small game, there won't be meat left. Rule in our house, whoever gets the most pellets in their food has to do the dishes.

Latest posts

Back