• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RevWar 3lb Cannon Progress

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll share a shameless plug for my new group. If anyone is interested in Reenacting, artillery, that is done right, in the New England area give us a shout.

If nothing else, I'd invite you to follow some of our social media links that are listed on the flyer! We hope to do great things in the coming years and build a group that pays homage to those men and women we portray!

412900834_1529543071143343_5877010409761033207_n.png

This past week made the long road trip to grab the gun!

Left Tuesday around 8am, (made a stop at the West Point Museum and Trophy Point, pics from that in another thread to be posted soon) left West Point around noon, stopped in Staunton, VA at 10pm for some sleep.

Woke up Wednesday morning at 5am, put in three more hours to Knoxville, TN, picked up my trailer that I had purchased. 20 minutes up to Trail Rock Ordnance in Blaine, TN and got the gun loaded up!

Left Blaine, TN around noonish on Wednesday and despite stopping for food and natures call we drove non stop and arrived back home at 445am Thursday.....phew, 1940 miles in 33 hours of driving....I was glad to get out of my truck and hit my pillow.

Anyways a quick shot as we left from TRO. More photos to follow!!

View attachment 278749
How did you secure cannon so it was immobile? Getting ready to transport mine on a trailer soon

Beautiful gun. Am I understanding you correctly that the tube should be cast from bronze? I have no knowledge of Rev War artillery. Very nice nonetheless.

Yes that is correct. This particular "model" of three pounder was never cast in iron.

Unfortunately the cost of bronze is a little prohibitive, that and another chain of events brought me to this one in iron. I am working ways of perhaps getting this one coated in bronze. Some folks paint theirs with rattle can mettalic paints, but it doesn't do it for me.

So I'm looking at getting it plated, but having difficulty finding a place that can deal with the weight and dimensions of it. And I've found a good powder coating solution, but South Bend Replicas (who made this tube) uses an epoxy to bond the liner to the steel, and the curing process requires 400* heat for an hour. So that's off the table as of now.

Gilmor ordnance does make a full bronze tube but they cast the Congreve pattern of cannon, which historically was never on this model of carriage. :doh: So trying to work solutions.

Well after seeing @Youngblood post his newly acquired 3 pounder barrel I went ahead and had a great phone conversation with Gillmor. Since have placed an order and deposit for a brass 3 pounder of this same pattern. Sounded optimistic on the delivery timeframe so I'm excited. Until then I have a perfectly good tube to use.

Really going to look great when we put the brass barrel with the correct bore diameter on this bad boy!

I'll share a shameless plug for my new group. If anyone is interested in Reenacting, artillery, that is done right, in the New England area give us a shout.

If nothing else, I'd invite you to follow some of our social media links that are listed on the flyer! We hope to do great things in the coming years and build a group that pays homage to those men and women we portray!

View attachment 282666
Knox’s is going to be the crew to watch on the field! Happy it’s all coming together so well and look forward to getting out there- The bar has been raised by this group forming!

Back