• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

work bench muzzle support

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weum817

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any pics of what the use to support the muzzle end while the gun is in the vise?
I used a piece of 2x6 I rigged up last time.

I haven't any photos, but I usually prop mine up with a bit of board held onto the bench with a clamp. unsophisticated, but it works.

hmmm ... gotta give that some thought ... maybe i'll make some one- off tool out of some exotic material, spend a ton of time and effort... then i'll give it a fancy name, claim it was made in the south of france, and charge a zillion bucks a copy ...

nope - i'll stick with the scrap of board

:rotf:

In the past I've used a board clamped to the bench top. I also put a sand bag (shooting bag), on top of the board. The muzzle end settled down nicely for the work I was doing. :hmm:

Hi,
This is my set up.
Chemerkas%20NE%20fowler%203_zpszwnszm5r.jpg

dave

I have a 6 x 6 screwed (via sheetrock screws) to my work bench. One fixed block, and one with only one screw so it pivots on top. The fixed block is aligned so that the pivoting vise holds stock with no stress. I hold barrel or stock via softwood blocks and a small oak wedge. I will cut additional softwood blocks as required both for this auxiliary support and for my vise. I use soft metal jaw pads, of course, in the vise for heavy barrel works.

:metoo: -- :wink: :grin: . It just worked out that way for me except when I have to point the muzzle in the opposite direction -- then I put a board with a "U" notch under the muzzle :haha: .

Back