• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a gunmaker vise portable

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon the mess. I used a small machine table from Lowes, drilled a hole to accommodate the vise mounting screw.

Attachments

• 20230112_231200.jpg
    20230112_231200.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thinking about the drilling through the feet idea, I just remembered that the vise is secured to the black base with the feet by compression using the big nut on the acne thread bolt. Basically the vise just sits on the black base and when the big nut is tightened it keeps it all together. So might still need to find a small length of the acme thread to secure vise to base.
If the acme threaded rod is long enough to spare some length just cut a couple three inches off and use that with a proper nut. Unfortunately the dang nuts are just about as expensive as a length of the rod. I bought a 3ft chunk to repair a blacksmith's post vise and the proper nut, just last month. The nut was $2 more than the piece of threaded rod.

It's called an acme thread, and no it's not something you'll find in the local hardware store. Mic the diameter of it, and count how many threads are in one inch of length. Then Google up acme thread and you'll find a place on the web to buy a length of it. It's expensive. I buy it on Ebay when I need a piece of it.
The better solution would be to drill holes in the three "feet" and bolt the steel plate to them with countersunk head bolts up through the bottom.

...sniped picture...

Here's a place for ACME thread - lots to chose from (right/left, steel, stainless, alloy).

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/acme-lead-screws-and-nuts/

ACME threaded rod is often found on old style swivel chairs. Desk chairs. If you know of an old chair stored in a shed/basement, could be worth checking it.

Phil, if you are following this thread, I have to ask. What is that heavy duty swivel mount you use? I have seen them before. Do not know who made them. I think Jim Kibler has one similar. Where do I find one?

Grizzly T30398 - Pattern Maker's Carving Vise, same vise for a lot less money, IIRC, the acme thread bolt has conventional threading on the end of it that attaches to the vise bottom, simply remove the bolt and replace witha conventional threaded bolt, possibly metric, I glue a piece of leather to both faces of the vise to create a non marring pocket , works really great for almost any rifle stock, Dave

Did you contact the class as to their recommendation for the type of vice you have.

Remove the long bolt, mount a steel plate to the bottom of the vise that is large enough to be gripped with C-clamps. Maybe?

I'll be drilling several holes I'm my new work bench in strategic places so I can move my gun makers vise to where I need it. Simplest solution for me.
When I built my bench many years ago I countersunk several 1/2"steel plates that I have been able to drill and tap in various patterns to allow me to mount a variety of tools.

Back