• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a gunmaker vise portable

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a gunmaker vise that mounts with a large bolt that goes through the bench top and is secured from below with a large nut. I need to make this portable where I can mount it with clamps. Has anyone done this with this style of vise? Can't think of any great ideas to do this without having the vise offest from the bench a good distance.

This is a modification I MUST make.

15 years has gone by and the vise is where the last home owner mounted it.

But it's too far back from the edge of the workbench.

OP. Thanks for lighting a fire under my butt.

Remove the long bolt, mount a steel plate to the bottom of the vise that is large enough to be gripped with C-clamps. Maybe?

I'll be drilling several holes I'm my new work bench in strategic places so I can move my gun makers vise to where I need it. Simplest solution for me.

Remove the long bolt, mount a steel plate to the bottom of the vise that is large enough to be gripped with C-clamps. Maybe?

I'll be drilling several holes I'm my new work bench in strategic places so I can move my gun makers vise to where I need it. Simplest solution for me.
That might work if I can find a bolt with the correct threads to mount up into the vise. It doesn't appear to have standard threads though. Thanks for the idea.

That might work if I can find a bolt with the correct threads to mount up into the vise. It doesn't appear to have standard threads though. Thanks for the idea.
It's called an acme thread, and no it's not something you'll find in the local hardware store. Mic the diameter of it, and count how many threads are in one inch of length. Then Google up acme thread and you'll find a place on the web to buy a length of it. It's expensive. I buy it on Ebay when I need a piece of it.
The better solution would be to drill holes in the three "feet" and bolt the steel plate to them with countersunk head bolts up through the bottom.

Screenshot_20230112_211032_Samsung Internet.jpg

I mounted mine to a 2x10x3 foot board. The board rests on the top of an old table and clamped to it with a large (10 inch) C-clamp. Built two rifles using this.
I do have parts to assemble a real bench soon.

Thinking about the drilling through the feet idea, I just remembered that the vise is secured to the black base with the feet by compression using the big nut on the acne thread bolt. Basically the vise just sits on the black base and when the big nut is tightened it keeps it all together. So might still need to find a small length of the acme thread to secure vise to base.

Thinking about the drilling through the feet idea, I just remembered that the vise is secured to the black base with the feet by compression using the big nut on the acne thread bolt. Basically the vise just sits on the black base and when the big nut is tightened it keeps it all together. So might still need to find a small length of the acme thread to secure vise to base.
Why don’t you just build a small, dedicated bench to attach your vise to. Wouldn’t have to be much larger than a stool. If you need more stability clamp one side to the table your using.

Why don’t you just build a small, dedicated bench to attach your vise to. Wouldn’t have to be much larger than a stool. If you need more stability clamp one side to the table your using.
I actually do have my own bench that this is mounted to. My issue is I am going to a building class and need to bring my own tools, vise, etc. I wont be able to drill holes in the workbench there. Thats why I am trying to come up with a portable solution for this vise.

I actually do have my own bench that this is mounted to. My issue is I am going to a building class and need to bring my own tools, vise, etc. I wont be able to drill holes in the workbench there. Thats why I am trying to come up with a portable solution for this vise.
You may have to purchase a more portable friendly vise for your build class. Here are photos of what I use. You can see the wood support I made to adjust as needed so both vises can be used. The small gun vise I use separately, it’s sturdy. Maybe something like that is what you need.

Attachments

• 09181F40-7271-4AC1-8FC6-FD3080C19BB7.jpeg
    09181F40-7271-4AC1-8FC6-FD3080C19BB7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 8AD7880D-3A3E-4A99-A6CA-E9862B4FDBEC.jpeg
    8AD7880D-3A3E-4A99-A6CA-E9862B4FDBEC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 10FC8711-2C69-4238-8D11-40E39B4182E3.jpeg
    10FC8711-2C69-4238-8D11-40E39B4182E3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
cant you just mount it as is to a say a 2x8 long enough too clamp to bench? let it vice over hang the side of the bench.
I could, and this was about the only thing I could think of doing. I was just thinking it may not be very sturdy with the overhang and not being supported on the bench itself. Perhaps not, will be easy enough to try and find out I suppose.

TDM, nice setup, thanks for the photos. You may be right, maybe a different vise would be best. I'll still try the 2x8 mounted off the edge and see if its sturdy enough or not. I do have a versa vise that would be easy to make portable, I just like the other vise better for working on the gun.

Latest posts

Back