• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Jim keeps pushing that fowler out i might end up making my own. Assembling research material now. And already purchased one of his roundface locks.

Well, I took the leap and ordered my Woodsrunner kit last night. Can’t wait to get started. I know I’m the last guy in the line, but it’ll get here sometime!
Hold on a minute there, pard.....I'm last!

I just hit the "send order" button on a .54 Maple Woodsrunner.

With $75 off, how could I refuse? :thumb:

You may now take one step forward. :horseback:

The only real difference I see is the barrel is 4” shorter and it’s a slightly lighter weight contour.

Other than that, why is it so much better than the Colonial? I have several guns with 38/39” inch barrels and a couple at 43/44”. It’s not really that much difference.

The only real difference I see is the barrel is 4” shorter and it’s a slightly lighter weight contour.

Other than that, why is it so much better than the Colonial? I have several guns with 38/39” inch barrels and a couple at 43/44”. It’s not really that much difference.
Don't pop my bubble!

I want to think there is enough difference to justify a purchase! :ThankYou:

I was swayed by the weight, the caliber (54 my go to big game choice) and the single trigger. The barrel length wasn't a direct factor but it does contribute somewhat to the weight.

I put together a SMR, the Kibler kits are something special indeed. I am flintlock poor, I sold the SMR because I couldn't see the sights with my old eyes, I have two of everything from fowlers to squirrel rifles as well as 4 B/P deer rifles. I am probably one of the few people on this site not lusting after one of the Kibler kits, I really like them but just don't need one.

I will be 75 in a month and the question on my mind now is how am I going to disperse my collection when I croak. I have lots of guns and almost no family members who would be interested in them.
Same issue. Favorite grand daughter will want one as a keepsake. May donate the rest to the local Farmer Sportsmens' association. Guns are not demonized around here and that group could sell them in their annual auction.

E.eastern, I can truly empathize with your problems. I taught martial arts for nearly 50 years before retiring. But it was boxing that ruined my shoulders. This was in the 1990s and had both operated on over nearly two years. I'm retired now but both shoulders lost strength and still pain me sometimes. I would still be teaching or at least training extensively but severe ra and severe spinal deterioration put the breaks on near everything. But I can at least shoot all my flintlocks with little to no discomfort.

I probably have enough flintlocks already, it doesn't take very many to cover all hunting, target and fun shooting. But Kibler's Woodsrunner is the ideal rifle for me but likely won't ever be able to get one. I promised years ago that I'd stop and would not acquire any more MLs. But it is still ideal and my wish rifle.
I consider myself very lucky: I can still hike, bicycle or cross country ski all day, hunt, shoot, etc in spite of shoulder, hand, knee surgeries as well as a total hip replacement. Most guys I know my age (66) have to limit their activities. I gave up Judo in 2018 after the hip surgery and then COVID happened, which has not inspired me to get back on the mat with random sweaty people. I'm considering starting up again if the virus situation ever improves.

Back to the Woodsrunner, I have not paid for mine yet. On the advice of Lorie I just placed the order to get in line. I hope the $75 discount will apply by the time I pay. I also hope I can make some minor changes--might go with a different caliber... I was thinking .50, but the .54 is suposedly 8oz lighter at 7lbs.

I consider myself very lucky: I can still hike, bicycle or cross country ski all day, hunt, shoot, etc in spite of shoulder, hand, knee surgeries as well as a total hip replacement. Most guys I know my age (66) have to limit their activities. I gave up Judo in 2018 after the hip surgery and then COVID happened, which has not inspired me to get back on the mat with random sweaty people. I'm considering starting up again if the virus situation ever improves.

Back to the Woodsrunner, I have not paid for mine yet. On the advice of Lorie I just placed the order to get in line. I hope the $75 discount will apply by the time I pay. I also hope I can make some minor changes--might go with a different caliber... I was thinking .50, but the .54 is suposedly 8oz lighter at 7lbs.

The Woodsrunner in .54 would be my choice hands down. My only .54 is a US1841 rifle. I love everything about it except the weight (10.5 lbs). Yep it has hunted and has been fire a fair amount but something lighter sure would be nice. Likely never will happen though.

I just have some concern that a 7lb .54 might have more recoil than I'd prefer. Below is from Lorie at Kibler:

Woodsrunner .45 = approximately 8 pounds
Woodsrunner . 50 = approximately 7 1/2 pounds
Woodsrunner .54 = approximately 7 pounds

On the other hand, 7lbs woudl be a sweet weight to carry.

Looking forward to 7 lbs!. I dont hunt but left shoulder pain is becoming a problem and a lighter rifle for a day at the range will be great fun. I'll work up the lightest charge that will group to keep recoil down.

I always thought it was odd that the colonial has a round faced lock. I do like the round faced lock on the Virginia style woodsrunner, more appropriate.

In my opinion the Colonial was supposed to please everyone by sort of being what someone wanted it to be…Southern or Pennsylvania.

Maybe they are trying to get things a bit more correct. But if they want the Woodsrunner to have fowler style Virgina lines then it should have a .58 or .62 cal option. Not just .54

I always thought it was odd that the colonial has a round faced lock. I do like the round faced lock on the Virginia style woodsrunner, more appropriate.

In my opinion the Colonial was supposed to please everyone by sort of being what someone wanted it to be…Southern or Pennsylvania.

Maybe they are trying to get things a bit more correct. But if they want the Woodsrunner to have fowler style Virgina lines then it should have a .58 or .62 cal option. Not just .54
Could also seemingly have sumthing to do with$ fowler is next,im told
And yes i will be.

At least one Christian Oerter had a round faced "English" flintlock on it.

That's my opinion too. I spend many hours going up, down and sideways during elk season and dropping two pounds +/- is very appealing. 😀
Still hunting it wouldn't matter quite so much. But if you are going to be toting it around all day every ounce off is a gift. I even prefer 2.5 inch unmentionable shot shells to the 3 inch and up varieties.

Been on the waiting list for a Woodsrunner since May. Hadn't paid yet so I called in to use that $75 credit and get er paid. Lori says no soap. The $75 smackers is only for new orders. Oops.
I can't blame you for asking! My understanding was that the $75 discount was directed only to existing customers who have purchased a rifle kit in the past, as an incentive to buy another kit now rather than waiting until next year.

Latest posts

Back