• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner in Extra Fancy Maple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfritz44

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a 54 Woodsrunner Kibler kit in extra fancy maple.

I'm leaning towards a stock that's not engraved since this would be a hunting rifle for the dedicated PA flintlock season.

Does anyone have HQ pictures of the Woodsrunner in extra fancy maple, engraved or otherwise?

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a 54 Woodsrunner Kibler kit in extra fancy maple.

I'm leaning towards a stock that's not engraved since this would be a hunting rifle for the dedicated PA flintlock season.

Does anyone have HQ pictures of the Woodsrunner in extra fancy maple, engraved or otherwise?
They are available on his site. Both customer finished guns and ones he has made. Theres also numerous videos on you tube from him and customers building them you can see the quality of the wood and all.

kibler - Copy.jpg

this is mine in .50...I built it for the exact purpose of being in the woods for deer ....went with .50 only because I have a Hawken in the same caliber.....Its your plain maple stock.. shoots like a dream

Attachments

• second25yard - Copy.jpg
    second25yard - Copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Yes, plenty of pictures on the site of various guns, his and customers. I do have to risk giving my opinion on the engraving option, though. I think it's a bit too much. Something simpler would be more to my taste. And there's only one option: engraved or not.

I agree that the engraving is too much for a utility rifle. I may take a crack at some simple lines on the cheek plate, but nothing too fancy, except the maple of course.

Don’t do it!

Two reasons.

1. If you do this you will love the building process and love the rifle. This will make you want the upcoming fowler.
2. Every single order they get increases the time before I can get the fowler I want!

My Woodsrunner was not extra fancy maple so I will spare you from having to look at mine.

I have a woodsrunner not finished yet in plain maple but it still has some curl. Jim definitely doesn’t shortchange you on his stocks. I believe in extra fancy he states should have at least 90% curl. I do have a southern mountain rifle in extra fancy maple and it’s gorgeous. Here’s a pic of that

Attachments

• IMG_3766.jpeg
    IMG_3766.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3762.jpeg
    IMG_3762.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3771.jpeg
    IMG_3771.jpeg
  • IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
Am curious what did u use to stain your stock it’s somewhat lighter in color than I typically see.

That is 2 coats of the Laurel Mountain Forge Honey Maple...I have a couple of other flintlocks and wanted a lighter one, similar to the John Schreit rifle ...

Awesome looking guns! That lighter finish is what I like and will try to reproduce as it really seems to bring out the curl.

Damn close to ordering....

This is mine, it's a medium grade maple with aqua fortes stain and than I added some color using aniline dyes, red and oak brown. I finished it with Chambers Original Oil.

Attachments

• IMG_1030 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1030 - Copy.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1034 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1034 - Copy.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG