• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner recap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20230504_203000594.jpg
IMG_20230504_203020753 (1).jpg
My son told me I should start a new thread as my last took a detour. I have been working out of town for what seems like an eternity. The few days I have been home each week were more catching up and not relaxing enough to sit down and work on the rifle. I had done the first assembly and stock sanding along with polishing the brass before I got pulled away. I started to carve somewhere in between things.Finally the end is in sight. I finished carving then gave it two courses of tannic acid followed by iron nitrate. the photos are the first coat of Tried and True. I'm on the fourth now.
IMG_20230604_152218831_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20230604_152119889_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230604_152049343_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230604_151946681_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230604_152152392_HDR.jpg

View attachment 227166View attachment 227167My son told me I should start a new thread as my last took a detour. I have been working out of town for what seems like an eternity. The few days I have been home each week were more catching up and not relaxing enough to sit down and work on the rifle. I had done the first assembly and stock sanding along with polishing the brass before I got pulled away. I started to carve somewhere in between things.Finally the end is in sight. I finished carving then gave it two courses of tannic acid followed by iron nitrate. the photos are the first coat of Tried and True. I'm on the fourth now.View attachment 227169View attachment 227170View attachment 227171View attachment 227172View attachment 227173
Fine job!

A fine job for sure! Looks really nice!
Thank you, There are several areas I wish I spent a little more time on but this was my second attempt at carving anything and my first at curly maple. I will be calling in the next couple of days to put together a SMR kit in something different and really take my time.
Thanks again, John

Nice job JohnBHM. Like the wood color and of the brass. Wondering, how did you get the finish on the brass to turn out the way it did? Darken with some solution and then lightly rub with steel wool? Would like the same look on future project.

Back