• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sometimes you forget that you can just start over

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been working on finishing a woodsrunner. I used LMF browning for the barrel and lock. I over did the browning and while it looked ok it was just not what I had in mind. I ended up with a nearly black egg shell finish on both of them. After waxing everything and putting it together with the cherry stock it looked pretty good but it was still not exactly what I had wanted when I started. It dawned on me this morning that there was nothing keeping me from just starting over.

I filed and sanded the barrel back to new metal and did the same with the lock. I applied 4 coats of plum brown to both and they turned out a nice chocolate color. They are setting in a motor oil bath right now and I am excited to get it all back together tomorrow.

what I had

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I have been working on finishing a woodsrunner. I used LMF browning for the barrel and lock. I over did the browning and while it looked ok it was just not what I had in mind. I ended up with a nearly black egg shell finish on both of them. After waxing everything and putting it together with the cherry stock it looked pretty good but it was still not exactly what I had wanted when I started. It dawned on me this morning that there was nothing keeping me from just starting over.

I filed and sanded the barrel back to new metal and did the same with the lock. I applied 4 coats of plum brown to both and they turned out a nice chocolate color. They are setting in a motor oil bath right now and I am excited to get it all back together tomorrow.

what I had
this is the wonderful thing about muzzleloaders. we can do, redo and do over. as we gain experience each step, redoing comes by less and less. I have browned most all of my builds.
this Kibler Colonial i hit the metal with Birchwood Casey super blue one coat, then rubbed it back to a aged pewter tone. like it.

Nice color. I have never been that happy with the very, overly dark browning. But your version 2.0 is much better, in my opinion.

I have browned most all of my builds.
this Kibler Colonial i hit the metal with Birchwood Casey super blue one coat, then rubbed it back to a aged pewter tone. like it.
I have done this on many, often letting it sit overnight before rubbing back. Sometimes as part of the rubbing back I'll tumble the lock parts in walnut shell, works wonders for getting in those little places.

Back