• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter Projects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful who you tell about those flicker feathers. The Fed's will have no mercy on your wallet.
Robby
Robby,
Just found out about that.
Even feathers from a road kill like the one I found can get you into a fix apparently.
When I pass by the carcass again I'll drop off the pinch of feathers i plucked

Something else to play with is a gorge. I got fascinated and tried them, and pretty much eliminated any thought of hooks in my kit. They're especially good for set lines and bait, which are good for "fishing" while you're off busy doing something else. Catfish and other bottom feeders are prime targets for gorges. Best of all, you can make them from a green twig, sliver of hardwood or sharpened sliver of bone (the best in my experience). Local Natives even used spruce root for their line, but I haven't got around to trying that yet.

those goldenrod floats are very cool. As for winter projects I just got two NOS NIB Green Mountain LRH stainless barrels that I want to use to build a couple of rifles with. I have a complete renegade stock but still looking for a T/V hawken stock to refinish for the projects.

still tinkering with my T/C stock … walnut with a boatload of figure … when (or if) I can figure out how to transfer photos from my camera to the computer to the website, i'll get some photos posted …

honey, it followed me home. can we keep it?

Something else to play with is a gorge. I got fascinated and tried them, and pretty much eliminated any thought of hooks in my kit. They're especially good for set lines and bait, which are good for "fishing" while you're off busy doing something else. Catfish and other bottom feeders are prime targets for gorges. Best of all, you can make them from a green twig, sliver of hardwood or sharpened sliver of bone (the best in my experience). Local Natives even used spruce root for their line, but I haven't got around to trying that yet.
Bear,
I've known about them since I was a kid but had my doubts and never bothered to try them.
What sizes and what materials were you successful with?

The tackle box is all done. First pic. Shows box with the way the handle locks it together. 2nd.picture shows the top compartment with its contents, handline winder, fly book, tin with cork floats, flat lead for sinkers and brass and lead sinkers that were tied into line. 3rd. pic the bottom compartment with its contents. Worm horn, cricket box, stringer made from leather with antler on one end and a forged ring on the other. 4th. pic close up of cricket box. 5th. pic close up of worm horn. Last pic of the quill and goldenrod floats. Jerry
GEDC0122.JPG
GEDC0124.JPG
GEDC0124.JPG
GEDC0126.JPG
GEDC0127.JPG
GEDC0157.JPG

Attachments

• GEDC0128.JPG
    GEDC0128.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 53
The tackle box is all done. First pic. Shows box with the way the handle locks it together. 2nd.picture shows the top compartment with its contents, handline winder, fly book, tin with cork floats, flat lead for sinkers and brass and lead sinkers that were tied into line. 3rd. pic the bottom compartment with its contents. Worm horn, cricket box, stringer made from leather with antler on one end and a forged ring on the other. 4th. pic close up of cricket box. 5th. pic close up of worm horn. Last pic of the quill and goldenrod floats. Jerry
View attachment 2147 View attachment 2148 View attachment 2148 View attachment 2150 View attachment 2151 View attachment 2152
Jerry,
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!
Could you give us a bit more detail on the worm horn?
Such as how the lid works?
I have a few horns I messed up that I am looking to salvage and they may become worm horns among other things

Bear,
I've known about them since I was a kid but had my doubts and never bothered to try them.
What sizes and what materials were you successful with?

I've played with them using local materials wherever I was. In AK it's been spruce and alder for woods, deer and bird for bone. Down south a ways maple was great.

Probably the best of all has been deer bone: Split the bones raw and allow to dry. Then shape them. You could shape them while wet, but they're kinda slimy and hard to hang onto.

I've had mixed results using them on a pole, mostly cuzz I get to excited and set the hook rather than letting them really swallow it. But they're reliable as can be on set lines, as they were originally used, near as I can tell. Gives the fish plenty of time to suck it deep, then they set the hook themselves when they try to swim away.

I've played with them using local materials wherever I was. In AK it's been spruce and alder for woods, deer and bird for bone. Down south a ways maple was great.

Probably the best of all has been deer bone: Split the bones raw and allow to dry. Then shape them. You could shape them while wet, but they're kinda slimy and hard to hang onto.

I've had mixed results using them on a pole, mostly cuzz I get to excited and set the hook rather than letting them really swallow it. But they're reliable as can be on set lines, as they were originally used, near as I can tell. Gives the fish plenty of time to suck it deep, then they set the hook themselves when they try to swim away.
Bear,
Sounds like its worth a try out of bone for sure!
They may be best set on a trot line close to the bottom

Latest posts

Back