• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter Projects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxenro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
With winter coming up, I laid in a few projects to work on over those long, dark nites sitting in front of the fire.

1. Picked up a Pietta Spiller & Burr revolver kit from Dixie.Brass frame, should be fun to clean up.

2. Dixie is now carrying a steel framed '51 Navy and '60 Army kit made by Pietta. I had been holding off on making a kit of these because I don't like brass frames (Spiller & Burr being the exception) but these new steel frame kits seemed great

3. Now I need holsters for all these new guns, plus my others, so I picked up a few Will Ghormley pattern packs and am getting leather, thread, and a few tools. Going to make holsters for all my guns, plus belts, cylinder pouches, cap pouches, and knife sheaths to match.

So what you all got planned for the winter months?

refinish my .50 CVA rifle and Hawken-style pistol. both getting a little raqged. and eat lots of venison and gravy with biscuits.

Gonna build a flinter. Probably a Kentucky. It'll be my first flintlock. I'm looking at the kit options now, will probably order it around the end of the month. Can't get to it before the middle of November in any case. I'm also going to have to spend some significant time moving and upgrading the workbench as we're going to finish the basement this year, and right now I'm spread out all over down there without a proper work place. So, I'm gonna fix it.

My winter project is to finally get a lead pot and start casting my own. I have the molds and lead, but no melter yet. I think I'll end up with a Lyman.

Ill spend the days hunting,trapping,fishing,skinning and cleaning hides.
At night Ill be working on my Dickert rifle kit I just ordered from TOTW.
Also be doing trap maintenance,(cleaning, oiling and repairing),do some reading,( Allan W. Eckert's/
The Conquerors).

Hmmmmm...where to start? Finish my Trapdoor Sporter, then my left hand Hawken that I started in '75 (kinda lost interest when I turned to flintlocks), build a blunderbuss pistol, restock and convert to centerfire a couple of Vetterlis, also a couple of Rolling Block Sporters. Guess that's plenty for starters. Emery

Joe, my 16 year old son, and I have to finish a cabin we've started. We set the top log last week. Then there's the strightback chair patterned after the one in the Foxfire book that I'm making. I'm planning on either re-doing a Hawken or building a pistol. I've got to overhaul my TO 35 Massey Ferguson. I bought 200 pounds of coal and have to set up my blacksmith shop AGAIN. I know I'm leaving some things out but I just can't keep up with all of them. Some will probably be spring projects.

My girlfriend and I are going to cast 1 or 2000 minie balls plus an assortment of roundballs to be stocked for summer! She loves doing anything and everything related to black powder. She really likes casting so she will do roundballs while I do minies.

Also am seriously considering trying my hand at building a flintlock this winter. I'm looking very closely at the Lewis and Clark 1792-1794 contract rifle.

We'll see! :wink: :grin:

Probably going to build a .69 caliber Blanket Gun and possibly a couple of Lyman pistols in .54 caliber.

And maybe a cannon with a 3" or 4" bore and 4' barrel, got one with a 2.25" bore and 2.5' barrel already.

Plan to start after the Holidays and our PA Flintlock Season. I bought a fowler kit from Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading. It's a lefty 24 guage, and I hope to have it ready for spring gobbler.

:thumbsup: I have an OLD black powder 12ga cut to just above the legal minimums loaded with brass cartrige and 30 cal balls. named it jeeves and it is mounted on the back of the outside steel door. Home defense,yeah!!!Bob

Got a good start this past saturday with the icy rainy miserable weather.

Cast 200 .575-213 lyman minies, 200 .375 round balls and 100 .454 round balls.

:grin: :grin:

Back