• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Winter Projects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well winter is upon us. What projects are you going to do to improve your kit? I'm making some quill floats for my period fishing kit, along with a period tackle box. Going out looking for goldenrod plants with the bulge in them where the wasps laid an egg to make floats. Going to make 2 folding travel candle lanterns with mica lens. Also some quill pens a mechanical pencil and a journal. Have two rifles, I have been working on forever to finish. Then the usual repair to everything I broke, ripped or just plain wore out in the last couple of years.

Jerry

Well winter is upon us. What projects are you going to do to improve your kit? I'm making some quill floats for my period fishing kit, along with a period tackle box. Going out looking for goldenrod plants with the bulge in them where the wasps laid an egg to make floats. Going to make 2 folding travel candle lanterns with mica lens. Also some quill pens a mechanical pencil and a journal. Have two rifles, I have been working on forever to finish. Then the usual repair to everything I broke, ripped or just plain wore out in the last couple of years.

Jerry

Not sure yet what I'll work on this winter, my enthusiasm for just about everything has waned. Should really work on some long put off repairs/maintenance of my Centermark F.d.C. Still need to reattach the barrel lug that separated a few years ago, have a new idea on how to do the job thanks to the fine gentleman from Ackerman Arms, while it's apart the stock could use some reconditioning, at least a coat of Tru-Oil if nothing else. May make a bag or 2 if I drum up the spirit. Have a Jeff White trade knife that needs scales.
Unrelated to b.p. I need to make some arrows for one of my recurves.

I am interested in your fishing kit project. Particularly the golden rod floats. How do kill the wasp larva?

I'm still slowly working on my TOTW fusil de chasse. I'll post photos when I have something worth posting.

I am interested in your fishing kit project. Particularly the golden rod floats. How do kill the wasp larva?

This time of year the little rascals have flown the coop. And I have been told that the little exit hole doesn't hurt the way the float works.

Around here they are alittle hard to find. The cows have eaten or trampled most of them by now.

Gotta finish up a list of unrelated leather projects just so I can get back to leather projects for muzzleloading. Got my eye on a few of the bags in Grant, thinking my life would be greatly richer with an update of the bags I've built for each gun. They're good but don't necessarily fit the guns. Kinda interesting thought to go back and period-match bags with guns. Developing a couple of patterns right now and on a hunt for the right leather when I don't have a pair of needles in my hands.

An English fowling gun of the 1780's era. Hopefully done before our turkey season begins, just got to finish up this bear pistol that unexpectedly barged its way into my lineup first.
Robby

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry,
A few quick questions first:
- What does an example of your tackle box look like?
- what does your plan for the mechanical pencil look like.
I was planning on keeping a hunting/trekking journal but I know any ink I brought, with my luck, would soon stain my gear so I was going to look into a period pencil as an alternative.
Back during the better weather I started back into the path to reenacting.
I made an oil cloth (first thing I made),3 pair of mocs, a hunting shirt, leggings, haversack, some ugly blanket pins and then the weather started to change and I have yet to get enough gear together for a decent trek so I currently am making a pair of shoe packs with wool insoles and liners, a wool waist coat and will soon be looking to make a pair of wool leggings in an attempt to at least get out for a scout in my gear if not a winter trek although doing that alone may pose some unnecessary risk

S. Longhunter I really don't have any plans for either the box or the pencil. The plans for the pencil came from a now inactive forum. And I can't find them there. Same with the tackle box. There were 2 guy's that all they did was period fishing and they had a picture of the box. They had given the dimension's at the time and that's all I have. I will get it cut out in the next day or two and post a pic of it. The pencil I may get done today if so I'll post a pic.

Jerry

I have bought a set of small pine boxes that I want to give a "colonial" home style finish, and a writing slope that needs some work. I am working on a handwritten book of laid paper with everything I need to now of the history period in which I re enact. Then I am looking around for a good reproduction of a map of the 13 colonies just prior of the War of Independence. There are firms that sell these but most are costly and/or don't deliver to Europe... All fun projects!

S. Longhunter I really don't have any plans for either the box or the pencil. The plans for the pencil came from a now inactive forum. And I can't find them there. Same with the tackle box. There were 2 guy's that all they did was period fishing and they had a picture of the box. They had given the dimension's at the time and that's all I have. I will get it cut out in the next day or two and post a pic of it. The pencil I may get done today if so I'll post a pic.

Jerry
Jerry,
I would love to see what they look like!
BTW, yet another I have in the fire is a 17 round cartridge box that was inspired and guided by Loyalist Dave who was kind enough to mentor me on its construction.
Now I just need to cover it in the leather pattern he's got for me and that will be another project down!

I will be completing a Traditions 50cal Hawken Kit I received from my family for Christmas last year. Been to busy to get it started but it will get finished this Winter (I hope)
Mike

GEDC0157.JPG
GEDC0158.JPG
Putting up this thread and getting the worst cold of my life, so I haven't felt like hunting, Built a fire under me to get to some of my projects.

Got the goldenrod floats harvested. Made the quill floats. Cut out and put together tackle box. Will get it painted with milk paint today. And as far as the gun, soldered on the bottom rib and thimbles. Cut in the dove tails for the sights, finished the entry pipe. Inlayed the lock bolt plate. Its DONE!!! Accept for the finishing.

Jerry

View attachment 2079 View attachment 2080 Putting up this thread and getting the worst cold of my life, so I haven't felt like hunting, Built a fire under me to get to some of my projects.

Got the goldenrod floats harvested. Made the quill floats. Cut out and put together tackle box. Will get it painted with milk paint today. And as far as the gun, soldered on the bottom rib and thimbles. Cut in the dove tails for the sights, finished the entry pipe. Inlayed the lock bolt plate. Its DONE!!! Accept for the finishing.

Jerry
Jerry,
Excellent work!!
Get Well !!

Jerry, really love those goldenrod floats. I had not heard of these before. Do you have a copy of Ken Reinard's "Colonial Angler's Manual for Flyfishing and Flytying"? Wonderful resource.
I'll second Longhunter: get well. There's a really ugly chest cold out there ...

Jerry, really love those goldenrod floats. I had not heard of these before. Do you have a copy of Ken Reinard's "Colonial Angler's Manual for Flyfishing and Flytying"? Wonderful resource.
I'll second Longhunter: get well. There's a really ugly chest cold out there ...
Bill,
Added that book to my Amazon list !!
I actually acquired some white and black spotted breast feathers from a Flicker that would be nice for making into flies which is why I took them, although I have never tied a fly in my life.

Back