• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter projects-one more down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
GEDC0178.JPG
GEDC0179.JPG
GEDC0181.JPG
GEDC0182.JPG
Had some old copper around and some eisenglass I've had around from when I was a kid finally found a use for it. So I got one more of my winter projects done. Its a fold up candle lantern. Copper body and eisenglass window. 1 1/8" thick, 5" tall and 3 1/2" wide. The hinges are simple brass tubing with steel wire through them.

When you open cover there is a eisenglass widow that also folds out from the other direction, and in the body of the main box there is a candle holder that swings out, the main body, cover and window form a triangle with the candle holder in the middle. It can hold up to 4 3/4" candles. And when set up you have a small windproof candle lantern.

Then also in pic 3 is a candle box that a built awhile ago. 1/4" sides 1/8" top and bottom.

Jerry

View attachment 3018 View attachment 3019 View attachment 3020 View attachment 3021 Had some old copper around and some eisenglass I've had around from when I was a kid finally found a use for it. So I got one more of my winter projects done. Its a fold up candle lantern. Copper body and eisenglass window. 1 1/8" thick, 5" tall and 3 1/2" wide. The hinges are simple brass tubing with steel wire through them.

When you open cover there is a eisenglass widow that also folds out from the other direction, and in the body of the main box there is a candle holder that swings out, the main body, cover and window form a triangle with the candle holder in the middle. It can hold up to 4 3/4" candles. And when set up you have a small windproof candle lantern.

Then also in pic 3 is a candle box that a built awhile ago. 1/4" sides 1/8" top and bottom.

Jerry
Jerry,
You're putting everybody to shame with your winter time motivation and innovation!!
That's great trekking item!!
How thick is the copper you're using?
You will have to educate me on the eisenglass...

Jerry,
You're putting everybody to shame with your winter time motivation and innovation!!
That's great trekking item!!
How thick is the copper you're using?
You will have to educate me on the eisenglass...

The copper I used is .025" thick it wouldn't hurt to be alittle thinner, but that's what I had.
Eisenglass is mica. It is fire prof, it comes in sheets. it was used as windows in wood stoves years ago. Its just about as transparent as glass. I would say the piece in the lantern is about 1/32" or alittle less thick.

Jerry

The copper I used is .025" thick it wouldn't hurt to be alittle thinner, but that's what I had.
Eisenglass is mica. It is fire prof, it comes in sheets. it was used as windows in wood stoves years ago. Its just about as transparent as glass. I would say the piece in the lantern is about 1/32" or alittle less thick.

Jerry
Interesting!!
Is that something that you can still buy?
How fragile is it?

They still mine it I believe in the east somewhere, You can find it online.

Its pretty tough they used to put it on wood and coal stoves for windows.
Jerry,
I may have to give duplicating you're design a try!!
Don't be insulted!
Imitation is the highest form of flattery !!

Back