• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will the bottom fall out of the custom build business?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife joined me, in a totally different hobby, so we could spend time together. For some reason, I did a smart thing; I let her pick the aspect of the hobby she enjoyed and I supported that. Her tastes and thought processes are different from mine, but she found something she liked and grew quite a reputation with it. This was a hobby with a smaller percentage of females than muzzleloading. One guy offered her $300 to get his wife to like the hobby. Most men fail to grow the fun because we focus what we like, not what the other person might like. It's a lot like going to church; if you like it, you know why. But telling someone else to "go to church" falls flat until they are emotionally and intellectually engaged.
more like 30K is current starting point?

I have had a few custom ML's built, by noted builders like Bergmann ,Brad Emig, GL Jones, Chuck Edwards and others., to get quality parts, workmanship and performance. However, to day with the advent of semi custom kits like Kibler puts out you can get quality top level parts, excellent performance and a very fine looking ML given some patience and effort on the part of the builder/owner. It is no longer necessary IMHO to go full custom to get a top notch ML. Just one mans opinion.

The few customs ml rifles I have had built were done so for purposes of wanting quality, performance and reliability. Getting that can present issues. Try asking an artist to build a "plain" rifle. 😉
There is no money to be made in "plain"

I don’t think the custom builders are in any threat of going anywhere. Theres no one I know of that offers almost ready to shoot ML except for Kibler and your selection is extremely limited to just three and two of the offerings are nearly identical to one another they might not even be your taste or even what your looking for it’s what he likes. So As long as there are people with a lot of bread and deep pockets the custom guys are here to stay, The only draw back is it takes nearly half your lifetime to get the dam thing. And for us over fifty guys we ain’t getting any younger.

Will the custom gun business die out? Where else can you get a custom built copy of a specific historic rifle ? Building for instance , an 1837 Edward Marshal rifle , or pick a rifle , and have it built , from Geo. Shumway's books? Granted , building custom copies of rifles won't make a builder rich , but as a kid , my Dad told me , "no one gets rich in the custom gun business." Figuring this truth out early on , made me get an education , and real job to support my dreams of learning the custom art m/l business. Another thing......popular Appalachian Mountian rifles historically were common , there in. They are simple to build , and can be made with custom made parts , like they were made for the last 250 years. Other than quality m/l barrels , and locks , the rest of the parts can be made or fashioned from scratch materials , and produce very accurate , and useful rifles. Those that want a m/l , will be able to get one. Lord willing , if I was given another 50 yrs. of life , I would continue to create m/l art for the fun of it.........oldwood

If you want artisan gun builders to survive? PATRONIZE them!!!!

I am retired fairly securely with a part time job. I have had two rifles custom built since retirement. I squirreled away money for each gun like a skinny squirrel hoarding nuts in October. I did not want ornamented rifles. But I have two lovely rifles with lovely wood and classic architecture. And they shoot. Very, very well.

A Business is not one sold item. You buying a gun, anything that you've wanted all your life is not a comparison of how long a business will last.
If you have a business and it's a single item offering. To a specific community and than well dries up. You had better be able to transition to something else pretty much overnight cause of you can't you're going to go under.

if you chase dollars & fast sales on what's popular today. Your customer base will be price shopping & forget about you unless your the last stop.
You have to offer more than one service to everyone not just a select group.
Go back , go to the sale pages scroll in three or four pages.
Look at everything that's for sale.
Look at who the supposed guys who are "just" selling their collection off.
Once the economy gets really tough here next year.
Unless an individual is moderately fixed.
That gun collection they have the muzzleloaders will be the first to go.
Kind of like an employer's policy, last one hired first one fired.

BPB
FFL veteran-owned
Since 1985

Those new muzzle loader kits are nice, but if you don’t know what you’re doing and don’t know how to properly fit adjust and install all the components then you might end up with a bad product that you can not reliably trust during a 800 lbs grizzly running At you.
Just saying, if it where me, If I didn’t know what I was doing build a muzzle loader kit, I would definitely hire someone to assemble it so I know and trust the very shot that might just save your life in a situation in Alaska or Northern states that have big game animals that will eat you for breakfast.
I’ve been following this thread somewhat loosely….if I build one of these “new muzzleloader kits” and I don’t know what I’m doing…how exactly am I supposed to know that I don’t know what I’m doing…I don’t know that I don’t know.
…I do know I won’t be chasing grizzlies alone with any single shot anything…custom or otherwise….and won’t be admiring those that do.

late to this thread and this has probably been said already, but here is my thoughts on the future of the custom builds that are in the range of art work.
Rigby , Holland and Holland and a few others have been in business for a long time building art. They not only survive but thrive. don't seem to have priced themselves into extinction.
As long as there are people, someone will appreciate art. and buy it.

I don't believe it will die. Folks do appreciate the work of custom ML builders. The problem is, I believe due to the economy declining at a rapid rate, Craftsmen in all industries are starting to slow down quite a bit. Find a Potter, candle maker, leather worker, or whatever, and they might tell you things are looking bleak. I hope the custom gun makers don't go away. I can't afford a custom right now but I do enjoy seeing their art.

Why do you want him to patent his process?

As near as I can tell he hasnt reinvented the wheel - hes just really good at applying and tuning existing CNC techniques and he puts his efforts in muzzleloaders which he also has a good understand of. Basically hes succeeding because hes better than everyone else at this particular thing.
Yeah, just email the process details to the ChiComs.
That sure helps innovation when those that do, don't get paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back