• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jacob Dickert Style Fur Trade Era Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to the advice and input given here, the field has changed to include the Chambers locks here. After considering the exemplary quality of the Chambers locks, I decided to stick with them. No the only question is which of the three? I am leaning heavily towards the Deluxe Siler and just need to hear that it is entirely appropriate for a rifle that would have or could have been out west 1805-1825? Also, is the pan not being water proof that much of a big deal? I was considering keeping a calf knee hide over the lock when hunting to protect it as I have been advised. Thanks for the consideration and opinions.
Siler Deluxe, Dale Johnson, Classic Ketland
L-18.gif

L-19.gif

L-16.gif

Take your pick! The differences are in aesthetics. The Ketland is later than the other two, but certainly well within the time period.

For a Dickert I'd opt for a Germanic lock so that would eliminate the Late Ketland.

The Chambers large Siler and the Deluxe Siler which has better lock geometry, the Golden Age and the Dale Johnson both of which have the improved components of the Deluxe Siler are all good choices. Wouldn't worry about a water proof pan.....when raining, the water runs down the side of the bbl and wets the prime.

I would choose the Dale Johnson because it has a slightly curved lockplate bottom and it's somewhat easier to fit into the lock panel and aligns well w/ the wrist because of the lower lockplate tail. The Golden Age also fits as well......Fred

Here is a "generic" Lancaster I recently built using a Dale Johnson lock. It works very well.

I think the slight curve makes it flow with the stock better. It also might be a better design for an earlier rifle.

Denny Ducet said:
That is consistent with the assessments of others. I have total confidence in the Deluxe Siler - the question is, would it have been found west of the Mississippi in the Dakotas and Montana circa 1805-1830?

I would say "Absolutely". Even Daniel Boone eventually moved west of the Mississippi, although not as far as Montana, but most folks that traveled the Oregon Trail were not rich folks and I would bet that very few of them carried new guns.

Thank you. I am for certain getting a Jim Chambers Siler Lock. Either Deluxe or Dale Johnson. I like both without preference to one or the other.

I ordered the barrel today. Last one in stock. Rice Southern Classic in 0.54 cal.

I decided to go .54 for the extra hit and hole, being here in Montana our deer are huge and the Elk need some extra convincing to lay down and die sometimes.

The barrel comes in pretty light with the profile. You have to add 1/16th (0.625") to the photo I will attach to get the dimensions of the .54 cal. It is essentially a B weight when it starts and blends into a C weight barrel from what I understand.
1"------.8625"-------.8125"-----.8125"---.8625"--.875"

southernclassic-a.jpg

Back