• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why only one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally in NY, ML was considered a primitive season...like bow, single shot. Having a 2nd arm takes away from that notion, in my opinion. Besides that, in practicality, I have never found a situation after my first shot where a 2nd (pistol or rifle) shot would have been any more practical than a prompt reload.
In early days, few hunters/frontiers folk had pistols. They were expensive and of limited use. I used to carry (when young and foolish) a sidearm when hunting with unmentionables...and quickly realized that it was unnecessary weight, and the rifle was its own best back up. I doubt it was any different two hundred years ago. A hunting knife was certainly carried, and often employed for dispatching...as were clubs, etc.

I've never carried a pistol while hunting, even when legal, I just think it should be My choice.
Robin
Originally in NY, ML was considered a primitive season...like bow, single shot. Having a 2nd arm takes away from that notion, in my opinion. Besides that, in practicality, I have never found a situation after my first shot where a 2nd (pistol or rifle) shot would have been any more practical than a prompt reload.
In early days, few hunters/frontiers folk had pistols. They were expensive and of limited use. I used to carry (when young and foolish) a sidearm when hunting with unmentionables...and quickly realized that it was unnecessary weight, and the rifle was its own best back up. I doubt it was any different two hundred years ago. A hunting knife was certainly carried, and often employed for dispatching...as were clubs, etc.
I agree about the hunting knife but the thing thats perplexing is that you CAN carry a sidearm during archery season here (obviously no dispatching game with it) so with the whole primitive season thing in mind then you shouldn't be allowed to carry during archery season, right? But why can you? For personal protection.......You cant tell me that humans (and human behavior) hasn't gone the sh!t. Theres a whole lot of scary "zombies" walking around nowadays with no regard for anyone Or anything and thats messed up.

Ohhhhh, my head is about to explode. The OP asked about the one gun ml requirement pertaining to Vermont. I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a hoot about mongoose hunting restrictions in Hawaii or if a 10" switch blade is legal in Utah. Sheesh, a little banter is fun to read, but maybe it ought to minimally relate to his original question. OP, the best advice is to contact your game commission. You might get the answer and the merry go round will stop.

Ohhhhh, my head is about to explode. The OP asked about the one gun ml requirement pertaining to Vermont. I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a hoot about mongoose hunting restrictions in Hawaii or if a 10" switch blade is legal in Utah. Sheesh, a little banter is fun to read, but maybe it ought to minimally relate to his original question. OP, the best advice is to contact your game commission. You might get the answer and the merry go round will stop.
I agree and I did email them and received a BS response so I just thought whatever. But yeah this thread has gone all over the place for sure 🤪😳

You can hunt mongoose in Hawaii? Book me! ( but is there a ML season? :)
Yes sir, I'm buying an out of state license for you and me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240328-153104.png
    Screenshot_20240328-153104.png
    629.2 KB · Views: 0
I only hunt black powder here in AZ. As I have "aged" I now mostly just hunt water holes or fence lines where I can sit and wait and I have become VERY good at it. I carry either a BP revolver or a unmentionable for personal protection. There have been many lion and bear attacks here recently and I dont wanna be on yahoo for that. In fact in my job last summer UP HIGH in the mountains near Prescott AZ I stopped and peed on the road. Next day I read a homeowner was killed by a huge black bear. A neighbor heard the ruckus and was able to kill the bear and they say it was very healthy, no rabies etc. and an adult male. So it wasn't food related or disease. My son said when I stopped to pee a McDonald's wrapper blew outta the car and the scent brought in the bear! I have not eaten fast food in 12 years & 3 months though so he referred to the old days when that would have likely happened. Anyway I will not go down w/o a fight and had the homeowner had a side arm he would have likely lived, how ever he wasn't hunting so just saying... In AZ even in archery season you can carry for PP.

Back