• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why not a Kukri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How have you like the quality? Thier quality vers taking a whack at it yourself?
Keep in mind there are a LOT of kukri manufacturers in Nepal and I am only speaking of one of them. Their quality quite good. Most of their blades are not highly polished like the tourist ones. They are intended for real use. I can attest to the edge being hardened with the rest not so much. Probably my favorite is a Suripate blade I had made for me. Its a longer and less wide than the types that a Gurka would have. The closest thing I have made to the shape of a kukri is a bolo which is another good design. The pic is of one of the first bolo blades I've made. Keep in mind that the traditional "sheath" is usually not very durable. I've stitched up sheaths (or made Kydex ones as shown) to replace the original.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
I lost count of how many "Dog and Pony Shows" we did in the RTE Shop at Quantico in the 1980's for a plethora of dignitaries and visitors. This because we hand built all Model 40A1 Sniper Rifles, NM Rifles and Pistols, MEUSOC .45 pistols, and various other specialized weapons. The Dog and Pony Show involved laying out the weapons we built, giving general information on them, allowing visitors to handle them and answering questions about them.

One day we had a Royal Marine Colour Sergeant and a Ghurka Captain visit the Shop. The Colour Sergeant was stationed at The Basic School (for Officers). I never found out, but I imagine the Ghurka Captain was on some kind of temporary duty there as well. I asked to do the display for them because of my interest in history and I had some knowledge of both of their Services.

The Colour Sergeant asked most of the questions, but the Captain did have one or two. When we finished, I informed them I collected cutlasses and Infantry Swords and asked the Captain if I he would allow me to see his Kukri, though I would understand if he didn't want me to actually handle it. Then I put my left hand out. There was the tiniest look of a question in his eyes, then I nodded ever so slightly. My God his draw was lightning fast and even so he barely nicked my left hand, just barely enough to draw a few drops of blood. As I remember the handle was checkered and made of a dark material, though I wasn't sure if it was buffalo horn or something else. He showed me the blade and handle on both sides and returned it to the sheath. I thanked him and told him I was honored.

Later on some other Marines in the shop asked me what-the-heck went on and a couple said it looked like the Captain was going to cut my hand off. I casually explained when a Ghurka pulled his Kukri, it had to taste blood before being returned to the scabbard, even if the Ghurka cut his own hand on the return. That's why I put my hand out to offer my blood to see the Captain's Kukri. Most other Marines thought I was crazy, but the Bn XO later called to say I must have done something to impress the Captain, as he spoke a few kind words about me before their departure.

Gus

I lost count of how many "Dog and Pony Shows" we did in the RTE Shop at Quantico in the 1980's for a plethora of dignitaries and visitors. This because we hand built all Model 40A1 Sniper Rifles, NM Rifles and Pistols, MEUSOC .45 pistols, and various other specialized weapons. The Dog and Pony Show involved laying out the weapons we built, giving general information on them, allowing visitors to handle them and answering questions about them.

One day we had a Royal Marine Colour Sergeant and a Ghurka Captain visit the Shop. The Colour Sergeant was stationed at The Basic School (for Officers). I never found out, but I imagine the Ghurka Captain was on some kind of temporary duty there as well. I asked to do the display for them because of my interest in history and I had some knowledge of both of their Services.

The Colour Sergeant asked most of the questions, but the Captain did have one or two. When we finished, I informed them I collected cutlasses and Infantry Swords and asked the Captain if I he would allow me to see his Kukri, though I would understand if he didn't want me to actually handle it. Then I put my left hand out. There was the tiniest look of a question in his eyes, then I nodded ever so slightly. My God his draw was lightning fast and even so he barely nicked my left hand, just barely enough to draw a few drops of blood. As I remember the handle was checkered and made of a dark material, though I wasn't sure if it was buffalo horn or something else. He showed me the blade and handle on both sides and returned it to the sheath. I thanked him and told him I was honored.

Later on some other Marines in the shop asked me what-the-heck went on and a couple said it looked like the Captain was going to cut my hand off. I casually explained when a Ghurka pulled his Kukri, it had to taste blood before being returned to the scabbard, even if the Ghurka cut his own hand on the return. That's why I put my hand out to offer my blood to see the Captain's Kukri. Most other Marines thought I was crazy, but the Bn XO later called to say I must have done something to impress the Captain, as he spoke a few kind words about me before their departure.

Gus
Yes it's a real thing... OH and I'd venture to guess that the speed used on Gus's offered hand was due to kindness... that split second impact would impart the least amount of pain.

My father was covering Southampton for ABC News, when the British were embarking for The Falklands, and watched (the BBC tends to do a lot of "set up shots" when it comes to news stories) a BBC video producer with a camera crew who was trying to get a pair of Ghurka soldiers to unsheath and "brandish" their kukris, and the soldiers were refusing. The Ghurka Serjeant Major stepped in, and said to the BBC producer (who was becoming a bit miffed about being refused), "They draw kukri, they draw blood... Yours?" The request to see the kukris was quickly rescinded by the BBC producer.

LD

SORRY, since this really isn't about kukri knives in the ML era any longer, and is mostly about kukri's made in the modern age, I was going to move this to Non-Muzzleloading discussions, but that would prohibit the OP from continuing any participation other than reading, since that would place this thread in the Premium section, so here it stays but probably will end, shortly

LD

My k
SORRY, since this really isn't about kukri knives in the ML era any longer, and is mostly about kukri's made in the modern age, I was going to move this to Non-Muzzleloading discussions, but that would prohibit the OP from continuing any participation other than reading, since that would place this thread in the Premium section, so here it stays but probably will end, shortly

LD
well, I enjoyed reading all the firsthand tales on the Gurkhas. Thanks to all who participated in positivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back