• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why no black powder hunting personalities

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t watch the hunting and fishing shows on regular television. I do however, watch these folks on YouTube:

Folk Firearms Collective (and I’m still waiting for their new video, hint, hint)
I Love Muzzleloading (way to go Ethan!)
Black Powder Maniac
Hickok45
Frontier Quest
Deerskin Diary
Ramshackle Homestead
Black Powder TV (before he stopped making videos)
Guns of the West
Duelist1954 (get well soon)
Stillwater Woodcraft (he hasn’t made any in a while)
11Bangbang (when they ain’t destroying perfectly good muzzleloaders)

There’s a couple others I can’t recall right now.

Last edited:
Well, there was Toby Bridges. We don’t want another one like him representing our sport.

With that said, I was never much into watching hunting videos anyway. The last one I watched was some fellow who had booked a guided buffalo hunt on one of the western Indian reservations. I don’t remember who he was and it has been a while since I watched it, but I’m pretty sure he was shooting blackpowder. The fellow was led to his bull and made his shot, and the animal bucked like a rodeo bronco, kicking both hind legs out behind repeatedly. That’s what they do when they are gut-shot, according to what I’ve read. I have no personal experience with it. Anyway, the hunter hounded the animal for some time, and I think put in a couple more shots before he finally brought it down.

Gut shot, by all appearances, with a long and tedious hunt after the shot before the bull was killed and recovered. And they actually put out a video covering the event. I was disgusted, and kind of ******. I don’t think the Indian guide was very happy about it, either, although he did a good job maintaining his composure.

I love @B P Maniac Shooter ’s muzzleloading shooting videos, and Mike Beliveau’s videos are usually informative. However, I can get along without celebrity hunting videos.

Just my opinion.

Notchy Bob

Actual "screen time" for a half-hour show isn't very long due to commercials. A full hour show costs big dollars. With the small market that Muzzleloading represents, unless some organizations take an interest, we're probably not going to see very much. Historical documentaries, perhaps.

Waiting for "Jim Kibler Presents" (akin to Alfred Hitchcock Presents) for a weekly series. The Potterfields have certainly done their share over the years. Vista Outdoors owes shooters big time, but produces, in reality very little devoted to traditional muzzleloading. Anyway ...maybe after the solar eclipse the world will change ...not holding my breath.

Just watched Trapper Jake dispose of a coyote... he might be for real.

Most I don't like.. I think they fake.

Jim Shockey, Larimer Sasquatch Miller. Sasquatch hunts with side lock or did. I haven't had his channel in quite awhile. He is on insta gram. I don't know what Shockeys doing since he lost his wife.
I was trying to think of Millers name. I could picture him with his Hawken stalking the hills of Wyoming. Don't know that his show is on anymore but it was pretty good.

Not worth the TV network's time.

The Black powder community is such a small segment of the shooting sports industry
the advertisers won't support it. That is why there are no famous personalities.

This is really correct. We are just a bunch of old croakers according to the youngins, set in our ways with tunnel vision. Not interested in fantastic plastic or the latest gadgets, just lock, wood stock, and barrel.

I think it has always been this way really, the older generation likes the traditional aspect of muzzleloaders, a real connection to the past.

The younger generation, and we were all young once, like magnum shells/bullets, large capacity, rock and roll style hunting videos. And of course now they have added young, attractive women to hunting shows...

Anyone remember Virgil Ward? That's who I grew up with!

Jim Shockey, Larimer Sasquatch Miller. Sasquatch hunts with side lock or did. I haven't had his channel in quite awhile. He is on insta gram. I don't know what Shockeys doing since he lost his wife.
Sasquatch was a phony. On one episode he even photo shopped a muzzleloader over a lever gun. It was so obvious. I didn't know whether to be more annoyed that he did it or thought the viewers were that ignorant. Today I remembered there was Sam Fadala and Rick Hacker back in the day. I have Rick's book.
I'm pretty picky about hunting shows and yeah there are so many sorry ones but there are also a few decent ones just no black powder.
The money issue has merits but it doesn't explain why there are primitive archery shows which probably have few practitioners.
With You Tube there are a lot of living history people doing Long Hunters but most don't even hunt with their muzzleloaders they just talk about doing it. Frontier Quest is an exception and actually hunts which is good.

Maybe what's needed is a video game based on the 19th century to fire up some youngsters' interest and imaginations. Plenty of historic material available and no lack of challenges to overcome.

Game could start in St. Louis (or anywhere), then head up the Missouri or overland ..deal with river pirates, hostiles, cholera, loose women, bad teeth, broken mainspring, ....even a stuck cleaning patch (yuk, yuk). Anyway ,,better than Grand Theft Auto for my grandson. Just a thought.

IMG_2828.jpeg

Being in the younger side of the age spectrum of this group I can tell you all I’ve had the same questions. Big TV hunting shows can be good to watch as there is always bad ones in the group, but they’re out to make money just like all of us. Gotta make a living somewhere. I always turn to YouTube when I want to watch more quality hunting videos. Those guys are out there chasing dream and I respect that greatly. They’re super passionate about it. One of my favorite primitive hunters to watch on YouTube is Clay Hayes and B Kauffman among several others. Flintlock elk and turkey hunts are awesome to watch. Motivates us younger guys to make a go of it and make our own path.

Back