• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Black Powder Hunting Tale of Woe and Misery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaverstick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hadn't shared any stories here about my firearms deer season because I had no good pictures to go with them. To tell you the truth, I didn't have much of a season to share anything about. Other than the buck I killed with my longbow at the end of October, I have not put any meat in the freezer. I won't bore you with all the details of why but I will share a comedy/tragedy tale that happened on the opening weekend of Missouri's firearms season that kind of sums it all up for me. So pull up a chair, boys and girls, I'm about to spin you a yarn.

We woke up on the opening morning of our firearms season to an inch of snow on the ground. The wind was up and I did not expect much deer movement. I had bowhunted the two days before and had seen a significant drop in movement compared to what I had seen at the end of October. It looked like all the bucks had caught their does and nobody had any reason to move around much. I hunted anyway, because you have to, and had a spike in range of my 54 flintlock that morning. I was looking for a fat, mature doe so he got a pass. I saw only three deer that afternoon with no shot opportunities. The next day was supposed to be much better, weather-wise, so I had high hopes for then.

On Sunday morning, I headed up to the ridge behind our barn where I had arrowed that buck two weeks before. The weather was prime - clear, still, and cold. I walked out on the oak flat up there and used my climbing stand to ascend a big hickory. On my right was the head of Tater Cave Holler. There is a cedar glade on the far side of that holler that deer love to bed up in. They oftentimes will come out of the glade, circle around the head of the holler, and come to me on my side of the flat. I crammed me, and all the clothes I had on, into my stand seat, poured some powder in the flash pan, and waited for daylight.

Surprisingly, things started out pretty slow. It was a fine morning, around 20 degrees, and you could hear for miles. However, about the only thing stirring around were the ubiquitous gray squirrels. There was a small den tree about 20 yards in front of me and watching the antics of them popping in and out of its various holes kept me entertained while I waited for bigger game.

Finally, at around 8:30, I heard an explosion of noise across the holler and then saw several does come running from the cedar glade with a big buck behind them. All the leaves were off so I could easily see what was going on across the 125 yards that separated me from the herd. The snow on the ground helped too. They milled around on the flat over there while I checked my gun and waited/hoped for them to move my way. I had my 54 with me, a rifle I have a mixed history with. It consistently goes off when I need it to but I have had problems consistently hitting what I was aiming at. I have killed several deer with it but I've missed at least that many at some embarrassingly close distances. Now I will admit that I am not crack shot, but I think I'm competent anyway. My guess is my problem stems from the sighting system on that rifle. I have a tall bead front sight and a rear peep sight. Shooting from a level bench, I can easily group where I want to. All the deer I've missed, though, have been from a tree stand and I suspect that the angle caused by the elevation jacks something up in the human/rifle sight interface. Okay, enough foreshadowing...

So I'm watching the deer from afar when I see one of the does break away and go down into the holler. That is fine by me. When she comes out on my side, I will put a round ball through her and be done with it. I seem to spot another deer every time I look over that direction and I am on pins and needles waiting for any of them to come visit. After 10-15 minutes, I hear that doe finally making her ascent towards me and I get ready. However, when she tops the edge of the holler, she has turned into a he. Two thoughts came to my mind immediately. 1) How did that big buck switch places with the doe without me knowing and 2) He's not as big as I thought he was but he's plenty big enough. I watch the buck do deer things from about 25 yards away and as he starts walking away I pick the opening where I will take my shot. I intentionally hold a little low because I seem to miss high with that rifle, pick that spot right behind his elbow, and squeeze the trigger.

After the smoke clears, I see the buck just standing there. I wait for him to fall over but he, instead, takes a couple of steps. I wait for him to wobble and then fall over but, instead, he takes a few more steps and looks around. Then he throws his tail up and high steps off back down into the holler. I didn't touch a hair on him!!! I stare in disbelief for a few seconds and then my surprise is broken by the other deer making noise moving around. Now is when the story gets "interesting".

So I look up to where the noise is coming from and I see that the BIG buck is still around, trying to corner a doe. They're still 100 yards away but it looks like the doe is going to come my way. I normally run a cleaning patch down the barrel after firing but, I need to load my gun quickly, so I skip that part and pour powder in. I've only shot once so the barrel shouldn't be that fouled, right? I get a lubed patch out of a bag, place it over the barrel mouth, and put a ball on top. I get my ball starter and smack it on the ball while watching the deer slowly make their way towards me out of the corner of my eye. Guess what? The ball doesn't move. So I smack it again - same thing. Did I accidentally grab a ball for my 62? I get a different ball and try again; same result. Now I see that the doe and big buck are definitely coming my way, 75 yards out. I grab ball #3, and start smacking it hard. I'm on a 2 foot square platform with a 5 and a half foot long gun, trying to be inconspicuous. The deer are looking around, trying to source the noise, as I silently cuss my situation. I guess the combination of 20 degree weather and a slightly fouled barrel have shrunk the bore I am trying to put a piece of lead down. Finally, I get ball #3 to go in and I push it down about 6 inches, the length of my ball starter.

The doe and buck are heading straight towards me now, so I hastily grab my ramrod to seat the ball. I get it in the barrel and push but the ball WILL NOT MOVE. I am using all my strength now, bouncing up and down as much as you can in a climbing tree stand 20 feet off the ground, but that ball won't budge. The doe and buck are completely oblivious to all of this as they now close the distance to 25 yards in front of me on my left. That buck is a heavy-racked 10-pointer and his nose is right on her backside. Meanwhile, I'm pulling a triceps muscle trying in vain to load...my...damn...rifle. I watch helplessly, as the pair walk by me at about 15 yards and then stop behind me to figure out what they're going to do next. After taunting me for another 5 minutes, they walk off down into the holler on that side.

I am completely shocked by what has just transpired. I can still see deer moving around me but, so what? What am I gonna do? Throw a lead ball at them? The only thing I can do is get out of the tree, go to the house, and regroup. I lower all my stuff to the ground and start climbing down. As I'm gathering up my gear and packing up my stand, I hear something in front of me. I look up to see the buck I had missed a few minutes before now pawing through the snow for acorns about 25 yards away. Nothing like a little salt in the wound, heh? He doesn't have a clue I'm there so I grab my rifle and try once again to seat that ball. It's still a no-go and after he hears all the racket I'm making he looks up with that "Where did you come from?" look and bounces off.

The end of the story is I was easily able to extract the ball from that rifle with a ball puller after I left the rifle in the house to warm up. I ran a single dry patch down it and then pushed a patched ball down the barrel with no issue. I shot the load so I could clean the gun and then hunted the rest of the season with my 62 flintlock. I still had my heart set on a big doe so, of course, all I had opportunities for were little bucks and fawns.

We won't starve this winter but the season did remind me of the ones I had as a kid in the 70's - cold weather and no deer. I'm hoping that our Alternative Methods season at the end of December will be kinder to me.

Darren

Did this in the spring on a squirrel. After two shots the .32 is practically impossible to load with the rod on the gun. Well I shot at a squirrel and naturally missed. So I poured powder short started my patch and ball and guess what? Couldn't get the ball to move..... Had to walk the thankfully short distance back up to dad's for the steel rod..... The ordeal has me looking for another lube the little gun likes. It will put 5 balls in one hole at 25 with 1-7 ballistol dry patches but I absolutely have to wipe between shots or it's a gamble apparently lol

I hadn't shared any stories here about my firearms deer season because I had no good pictures to go with them. To tell you the truth, I didn't have much of a season to share anything about. Other than the buck I killed with my longbow at the end of October, I have not put any meat in the freezer. I won't bore you with all the details of why but I will share a comedy/tragedy tale that happened on the opening weekend of Missouri's firearms season that kind of sums it all up for me. So pull up a chair, boys and girls, I'm about to spin you a yarn.

We woke up on the opening morning of our firearms season to an inch of snow on the ground. The wind was up and I did not expect much deer movement. I had bowhunted the two days before and had seen a significant drop in movement compared to what I had seen at the end of October. It looked like all the bucks had caught their does and nobody had any reason to move around much. I hunted anyway, because you have to, and had a spike in range of my 54 flintlock that morning. I was looking for a fat, mature doe so he got a pass. I saw only three deer that afternoon with no shot opportunities. The next day was supposed to be much better, weather-wise, so I had high hopes for then.

On Sunday morning, I headed up to the ridge behind our barn where I had arrowed that buck two weeks before. The weather was prime - clear, still, and cold. I walked out on the oak flat up there and used my climbing stand to ascend a big hickory. On my right was the head of Tater Cave Holler. There is a cedar glade on the far side of that holler that deer love to bed up in. They oftentimes will come out of the glade, circle around the head of the holler, and come to me on my side of the flat. I crammed me, and all the clothes I had on, into my stand seat, poured some powder in the flash pan, and waited for daylight.

Surprisingly, things started out pretty slow. It was a fine morning, around 20 degrees, and you could hear for miles. However, about the only thing stirring around were the ubiquitous gray squirrels. There was a small den tree about 20 yards in front of me and watching the antics of them popping in and out of its various holes kept me entertained while I waited for bigger game.

Finally, at around 8:30, I heard an explosion of noise across the holler and then saw several does come running from the cedar glade with a big buck behind them. All the leaves were off so I could easily see what was going on across the 125 yards that separated me from the herd. The snow on the ground helped too. They milled around on the flat over there while I checked my gun and waited/hoped for them to move my way. I had my 54 with me, a rifle I have a mixed history with. It consistently goes off when I need it to but I have had problems consistently hitting what I was aiming at. I have killed several deer with it but I've missed at least that many at some embarrassingly close distances. Now I will admit that I am not crack shot, but I think I'm competent anyway. My guess is my problem stems from the sighting system on that rifle. I have a tall bead front sight and a rear peep sight. Shooting from a level bench, I can easily group where I want to. All the deer I've missed, though, have been from a tree stand and I suspect that the angle caused by the elevation jacks something up in the human/rifle sight interface. Okay, enough foreshadowing...

So I'm watching the deer from afar when I see one of the does break away and go down into the holler. That is fine by me. When she comes out on my side, I will put a round ball through her and be done with it. I seem to spot another deer every time I look over that direction and I am on pins and needles waiting for any of them to come visit. After 10-15 minutes, I hear that doe finally making her ascent towards me and I get ready. However, when she tops the edge of the holler, she has turned into a he. Two thoughts came to my mind immediately. 1) How did that big buck switch places with the doe without me knowing and 2) He's not as big as I thought he was but he's plenty big enough. I watch the buck do deer things from about 25 yards away and as he starts walking away I pick the opening where I will take my shot. I intentionally hold a little low because I seem to miss high with that rifle, pick that spot right behind his elbow, and squeeze the trigger.

After the smoke clears, I see the buck just standing there. I wait for him to fall over but he, instead, takes a couple of steps. I wait for him to wobble and then fall over but, instead, he takes a few more steps and looks around. Then he throws his tail up and high steps off back down into the holler. I didn't touch a hair on him!!! I stare in disbelief for a few seconds and then my surprise is broken by the other deer making noise moving around. Now is when the story gets "interesting".

So I look up to where the noise is coming from and I see that the BIG buck is still around, trying to corner a doe. They're still 100 yards away but it looks like the doe is going to come my way. I normally run a cleaning patch down the barrel after firing but, I need to load my gun quickly, so I skip that part and pour powder in. I've only shot once so the barrel shouldn't be that fouled, right? I get a lubed patch out of a bag, place it over the barrel mouth, and put a ball on top. I get my ball starter and smack it on the ball while watching the deer slowly make their way towards me out of the corner of my eye. Guess what? The ball doesn't move. So I smack it again - same thing. Did I accidentally grab a ball for my 62? I get a different ball and try again; same result. Now I see that the doe and big buck are definitely coming my way, 75 yards out. I grab ball #3, and start smacking it hard. I'm on a 2 foot square platform with a 5 and a half foot long gun, trying to be inconspicuous. The deer are looking around, trying to source the noise, as I silently cuss my situation. I guess the combination of 20 degree weather and a slightly fouled barrel have shrunk the bore I am trying to put a piece of lead down. Finally, I get ball #3 to go in and I push it down about 6 inches, the length of my ball starter.

The doe and buck are heading straight towards me now, so I hastily grab my ramrod to seat the ball. I get it in the barrel and push but the ball WILL NOT MOVE. I am using all my strength now, bouncing up and down as much as you can in a climbing tree stand 20 feet off the ground, but that ball won't budge. The doe and buck are completely oblivious to all of this as they now close the distance to 25 yards in front of me on my left. That buck is a heavy-racked 10-pointer and his nose is right on her backside. Meanwhile, I'm pulling a triceps muscle trying in vain to load...my...damn...rifle. I watch helplessly, as the pair walk by me at about 15 yards and then stop behind me to figure out what they're going to do next. After taunting me for another 5 minutes, they walk off down into the holler on that side.

I am completely shocked by what has just transpired. I can still see deer moving around me but, so what? What am I gonna do? Throw a lead ball at them? The only thing I can do is get out of the tree, go to the house, and regroup. I lower all my stuff to the ground and start climbing down. As I'm gathering up my gear and packing up my stand, I hear something in front of me. I look up to see the buck I had missed a few minutes before now pawing through the snow for acorns about 25 yards away. Nothing like a little salt in the wound, heh? He doesn't have a clue I'm there so I grab my rifle and try once again to seat that ball. It's still a no-go and after he hears all the racket I'm making he looks up with that "Where did you come from?" look and bounces off.

The end of the story is I was easily able to extract the ball from that rifle with a ball puller after I left the rifle in the house to warm up. I ran a single dry patch down it and then pushed a patched ball down the barrel with no issue. I shot the load so I could clean the gun and then hunted the rest of the season with my 62 flintlock. I still had my heart set on a big doe so, of course, all I had opportunities for were little bucks and fawns.

We won't starve this winter but the season did remind me of the ones I had as a kid in the 70's - cold weather and no deer. I'm hoping that our Alternative Methods season at the end of December will be kinder to me.

Darren
That kind of sucks. But any day out hunting is better than a day at work.
BTW: you are correct about the angle shooting from your tree stand. When shooting eithe at an up or down angle, it changes distance. Here is an excellent website to calculate. Also the new range finders may be able to do the angle calculation automatically. Good fortune on your next hunt and Merry Christmas.
Stan

Had similar experience, but attempted to ram the ball home by using a tree trunk to push against. Ramrod broke. Opening morning was definitely chilly this year. Waiting for "alternative season" also. Only a few of us and a whole bunch of "braced pistol" guys. Timing of the season is stupid (as are the new rules). Good luck!

I can see it now. Two mountain men brought back from 300 years ago and someone explaining this so called dry patch method and swabbing all the time.
They look at each other for a moment and then start chuckling.
Then someone produces a short starter and they fall silent....." What the hell is that" one of them asks, " it's for hammering your ball down".
They turn to each other a second time and instantly fall to their knees in laughter!

Joking aside and I certainly do not mean any disrespect but if you gotta hammer anything down a muzzloader you've got it all wrong! If a rifle won't shoot unless you hammer something tight down then there is something wrong with the rifle, hammering and dry patches or very little lubricant is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd buy four cans of 4f before I ever buy a short starter!

I can see it now. Two mountain men brought back from 300 years ago and someone explaining this so called dry patch method and swabbing all the time.
They look at each other for a moment and then start chuckling.
Then someone produces a short starter and they fall silent....." What the hell is that" one of them asks, " it's for hammering your ball down".
They turn to each other a second time and instantly fall to their knees in laughter!

Joking aside and I certainly do not mean any disrespect but if you gotta hammer anything down a muzzloader you've got it all wrong! If a rifle won't shoot unless you hammer something tight down then there is something wrong with the rifle, hammering and dry patches or very little lubricant is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd buy four cans of 4f before I ever buy a short starter!
Sorry Britsmoothy but, Boone, Kenton and Wetzel always went back to civilization after a couple of shots to get their stuck balls unstuck.:p:doh:

Everyone reinventing the wheel (loading methods) only invents new problems.

Had similar experience, but attempted to ram the ball home by using a tree trunk to push against. Ramrod broke. Opening morning was definitely chilly this year. Waiting for "alternative season" also. Only a few of us and a whole bunch of "braced pistol" guys. Timing of the season is stupid (as are the new rules). Good luck!

Yeah, our "Alternative Methods" season is a joke and the timing is horrible. It ought to be called "Anything but a Centerfire Rifle" season. Good luck to you too, sir!

Opening morning of muzzleloader for me looked to be great. Several months of health issues kept me from getting very far into the woods. But, I had been scouting around, I live an area with few deer, and found a pretty well used runway.

2 hours in to my hunt, a nice big doe walks up the hill in front of me at about 30 yards. She cooperatively stops broadside. So I line up the sights, pull the trigger, and get a small pop from the cap, but no boom. I put a new cap on and pull the trigger again cuz she's still cooperating. Another pop, but no boom.

3 other deer join the doe, and they bed down about 50 yards in front of me. When the big doe stands up about 2 hours after laying down, she starts walking toward me. She gets broadside again while feeding at 25 or 30 yards, sights lined up, trigger pulled, another pop with no boom. I just watched the deer feed past me at that point. Another doe and fawn got withint 15 yards of me before getting down wind.

Moral of the story: my caps were in a brass capper and these had been in that capper for several years. I had intended to replace them before the hunt, but apparently forgot. Lucky doe.

I had a rut crazy buck running a doe around me for an hour or so at top speed, the doe finally left and the buck wandered over to about 10 yards below my treestand. A great friend gave me his rifle when he was dying from cancer, he shot competition and had the trigger set at ounces, it was very cold morning, my fingers were numb. As I started to draw bead on the 8 point my numb finger touched the trigger without me knowing it, BOOM! over the bucks back.

The buck was in the rut crazed rolling eyes slobbering stage and didn't react to the shot, he walked over to a little cedar tree and started rubbing it while I tried to reload. I put in the ball and patch but I rammed it a little too far in, I cut patches at the muzzle so when I cut the patch I had some tag ends but decided to ram the ball in anyway. I ram the ball home but the tag ends catch my jag and sticks the ramrod all the way down the bore, I can't pull it out with my patch lubed fingers, the buck is still rubbing the tree.

I pull and twist, even think of shooting the buck, now 8 yards away, with the ramrod. After a couple of minutes of struggling the ramrod finally comes free. By now the buck is walking towards a pine thicket on the edge of the hardwoods, all I have is a Texas heart shot at 25 yards so I let him go.

I was new to flintlocks, greatly treasured the rifle my friend gave me and wanted to keep it exactly like it was when he gave it to me. Common sense kicked in and I adjusted the trigger when I got home to where I actually had to pull it to set it off not just touch the side of it.

I also ordered one of these ramrod pullers just in case I ever stick a ramrod again at the range or in the field, I keep it in the bottom of my possible bag.

ramrod-pull_0.jpg

Last edited:
Back