• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker... Or... Dragoon...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't have to do that... if there is a ~3/16" steel pin showing midway on the frontstrap of the TG it is a V-spring.

Jim
20200205_231451.jpg

I don't see any pins on the front strap

I speculate one of the reasons we see fewer of the Walkers and Dragoons is just the cost. Most of the other Colt reproduction and the Remington repros are more commonly available and often $100 and more cheaper. The others also show up in the second hand market more often. I have half a dozen of the others, but no Dragoon or Walker. I've aquired mine cheap at pawn shops, garage sales, etc. I'd pick up a Walker or Dragoon if I found one, but don't want to spend the coin for a new one.

The vast overwhelming majority of repro cap and ball revolvers are sold to people who just "want a Civil War gun" and maybe shoot it once a year. They're not interested in a Dragoon or Walker .

I don't see much interest in either Walker or Dragoon revolvers on this forum so I thought I might give it a bit of a kick start just to see what others have here. Remember, I am a noob in this place, so flame on!

Many years ago I had the pleasure of shooting my BIL's Walker, one cylinder's worth. I don't recall the powder or the charge, but it made a huge KABOOM! My BIL has never been one to do things in a small way, so I guess it must have been loaded heavily to impress me. I was not into BP revolvers at the time, but I was awed at how heavy and large it was. A two-handed operation for me! I did have a question about why the load lever thingie dropped after every shot, and just said it was the way they were.

Fast forward to present day. I have always been impressed with the Walker's style, not so much with the 4lb 9oz weight. I started looking at the Old Model Army Dragoon .44 revolvers, with their 4lb 2oz weight but was not jazzed until I saw the Uberti Whitneyville Hartford Model. It has the frame and grip style of the Walker with the weight of a Dragoon. I was not impressed with what dealers were asking for it, so I started bugging MidwayUSA about their $425 price, and immediately afterward they dropped the price to $360. I was sold!

I like it immensely, but there is a problem with historicity, somewhat. Original Colt WH Dragoons on the Walker frame had blind screw holes for the trigger/bolt screws like this early Uberti offering:

The ones that Uberti sells these days have the trigger/bolt screw drilled through, which I have. Maybe a cost saving measure, I dunno.

It makes a big KABOOM with 40 gr BP, but due to the original style of the load lever latch, the load lever still drops from time to time, but seldom. Although not historic, it would be better served with the 1851 Navy type latch.

Show us your Walkers and Dragoons!

Regards,

Jim
I'd bought a Walker cheap used once, and when ready to 'flip' it at swap meet, you almost couldn't GIVE it away. It's weight, bulk, and inability to hold it one-handed, unless you were a linebacker or weightlifter. Didn't need another door-stop, so was delighted to move it out cheap. I didn't even want it as a base for one of the whiz-bang add-ons; got a nice Rogers, Spencer for that. Thanks for posting, though. (They called them 'horse pistols' because you need a horse to carry it!)

The Uberti Walker would drop the lever with round ball but not with a RCBS #45-220-CAV bullet. The recoil impulse was stretched out with the heavier bullet so the lever stayed in place. That was of course with one example of a particular manufacturers replica revolver but it made me wonder if the original service load pointy bullets made the levers drop on Colt's production guns.

If you are going to shoot a lot being 50 or 60 shots at an outing I would suggest either an 1860 Pietta Colt revolver .44 caliber, an 1851 Navy Colt in .36 caliber, or one of the Pietta "Fantasy" guns on the Navy frame in .44 caliber. I am not a big fan of the Remington, The grip feels odd and they are hard to cap. But you pays your money and takes your choice.
I had a walker for a short time and shot it some. It is heavy and clumsy to handg on to for loading because of that weight.

Bear in mind the Walker was pretty much intended to be a Revolving Carbine to be used by Cavalry. They were carried in pommel holsters and I don't think reloading on horseback was considered much of a viable option but I'm sure it was done in a pinch. Capt Walker wanted hand held repeating rifles and Sam Colt obliged.

The Dragoon was just an updated Walker, intended for the same purpose.

People think the huge cylinders were to contain "rifle charges " but in fact the Service Charge for the Dragoon revolver was 30gr of powder and the 259gr Dragoon Bullet in a paper cartridge.

Not many people walked around with a Dragoon in a holster but I think Gen McClellan carried one as a sidearm, probably had it since the Mexican War.

When I had a Uberti Walker years ago I used to roll up the the rifle range with it and shoot round balls and .45 Maxi Balls out to 100 yards and lob them out to the 300 yard berm, stunning people who are like "wat ya gonna shoot at wit dat thing "

They are awesome revolvers from an age when people actually shot each other with guns to win battles.

People think of them in terms of today's firearms like handguns have to be "handy" and balanced , easy to carry etc so not many people get into them.

But the sheer joy of launching bullets out of a huge hogleg at rifle ranges can't be matched

The Uberti Walker would drop the lever with round ball but not with a RCBS #45-220-CAV bullet. The recoil impulse was stretched out with the heavier bullet so the lever stayed in place. That was of course with one example of a particular manufacturers replica revolver but it made me wonder if the original service load pointy bullets made the levers drop on Colt's production guns.
The originals dropped and the fix was a piece of leather.

Piece of leather shoestring , boom, done.

Or there are about 300 YouTube videos teaching you how to file a flat spot in the retaining spoon/spring.

I don't see much interest in either Walker or Dragoon revolvers on this forum so I thought I might give it a bit of a kick start just to see what others have here. Remember, I am a noob in this place, so flame on!

Many years ago I had the pleasure of shooting my BIL's Walker, one cylinder's worth. I don't recall the powder or the charge, but it made a huge KABOOM! My BIL has never been one to do things in a small way, so I guess it must have been loaded heavily to impress me. I was not into BP revolvers at the time, but I was awed at how heavy and large it was. A two-handed operation for me! I did have a question about why the load lever thingie dropped after every shot, and just said it was the way they were.

Fast forward to present day. I have always been impressed with the Walker's style, not so much with the 4lb 9oz weight. I started looking at the Old Model Army Dragoon .44 revolvers, with their 4lb 2oz weight but was not jazzed until I saw the Uberti Whitneyville Hartford Model. It has the frame and grip style of the Walker with the weight of a Dragoon. I was not impressed with what dealers were asking for it, so I started bugging MidwayUSA about their $425 price, and immediately afterward they dropped the price to $360. I was sold!

I like it immensely, but there is a problem with historicity, somewhat. Original Colt WH Dragoons on the Walker frame had blind screw holes for the trigger/bolt screws like this early Uberti offering:

The ones that Uberti sells these days have the trigger/bolt screw drilled through, which I have. Maybe a cost saving measure, I dunno.

It makes a big KABOOM with 40 gr BP, but due to the original style of the load lever latch, the load lever still drops from time to time, but seldom. Although not historic, it would be better served with the 1851 Navy type latch.

Show us your Walkers and Dragoons!

Regards,

Jim
Here is my new 36 cal dragoon magnum

Attachments

• IMG_20200302_231755.jpg
    IMG_20200302_231755.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200302_231606.jpg
    IMG_20200302_231606.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20200302_231654.jpg
    IMG_20200302_231654.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 87
Here is my new 36 cal dragoon magnum

Very impressive! How much does a .36 caliber Walker weigh? Who manufactured the "donor" revolver? Are the barrel and cylinder both relined for .36? It appears to be an excellent job all around.

I saved your photos for my collection as I don't foresee ever seeing another like it. Thanks for posting them!

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:
Back