• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cap Channel Missing on Uberti Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shankdaddy

32 Cal
Reaction score
On my Uberti Dragoon 3rd model I don’t have a cap channel that you find on most other colt revolvers behind the cylinder on the right hand side. As far as I can tell from pics online all original Dragoons have one but none of the Walkers did. I assume Uberti uses the same frame for both Walker and Dragoon, thus the dragoons also lack a cap channel. Not gonna complain as I really like mine, but is that gonna cause any issues beyond normal cap problems? Just something I noticed today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 56
The frame for the Walker is larger than the Dragoons. None of the variations of Dragoons had a cap channel thought it's possible you may have seen a repro with one which wouldn't have been accurate.

The frame for the Walker is larger than the Dragoons. None of the variations of Dragoons had a cap channel thought it's possible you may have seen a repro with one which wouldn't have been accurate.

Maybe we’re not talking about the same thing, I’ve attached a picture from the forgotten weapons video where he goes over the multiple versions of the Dragoon that shows the groove or channel I’m talking about. I can’t seem to find a standard definition of what it’s called, but from what I’ve seen it’s on all colt cap and ball revolvers besides the Paterson and Walker.

Attachments

• DED3098C-A4AA-4A54-A7D2-909D7E465961.jpeg
    DED3098C-A4AA-4A54-A7D2-909D7E465961.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I'm holding an Uberti Dragoon and Walker side-by-side. Their water table and recoil shield dimensions are identical in length and width. The most obvious differences in the frame are the screw holes through the Dragoon's right side and the fact the Walker's arbor is considerably longer.

I stand corrected! I hadn't handled a Dragoon in more years than I can remember and was just going on what I had heard. The frames are the same however the arbor is different. To put a Dragoon cylinder and barrel on a Walker for example you would have to install the Dragoon arbor.

Yup, we are talking about two different things. I was thinking of a cap grove cut in the recoil shield where you would lay a cap to push it on the nipple.

I stand corrected! I hadn't handled a Dragoon in more years than I can remember and was just going on what I had heard. The frames are the same however the arbor is different. To put a Dragoon cylinder and barrel on a Walker for example you would have to install the Dragoon arbor.

Yup, we are talking about two different things. I was thinking of a cap grove cut in the recoil shield where you would lay a cap to push it on the nipple.

Yeah I’ve seen that a lot while searching the web. It’s really cool getting to see the design work that went into these percussion revolvers. Those originals must’ve been top tier back then!

I don’t think is possible to swap cylinders from a Dragoon to a Walker unless the arbors are swapped, but also a Walker has a longer cylinder than a Dragoon. Not sure how that head space would work, or if there would be timing issues with the rotation. Seems risky.

I don’t think is possible to swap cylinders from a Dragoon to a Walker unless the arbors are swapped, but also a Walker has a longer cylinder than a Dragoon. Not sure how that head space would work, or if there would be timing issues with the rotation. Seems risky.
As I said above you have to change arbors. Once the arbor is changed the cylinder and barrel work together just like they were on a Dragoon frame. The Dragoon barrel extends back to meet the shorter cylinder. The real hot swap is to machine off the back of the Dragoon barrel and put a walker cylinder in a Dragoon.

As I said above you have to change arbors. Once the arbor is changed the cylinder and barrel work together just like they were on a Dragoon frame. The Dragoon barrel extends back to meet the shorter cylinder. The real hot swap is to machine off the back of the Dragoon barrel and put a walker cylinder in a Dragoon.
Why would anyone want to turn a Dragoon into a Walker? That would be a Frankenstein gun for sure. Lol but if you did what would it be called? A Dalker? A Wagoon?

I would be but it gives Walker power in a slightly lighter gun with a shorter barrel. There is a reason for folks to do the conversion but we can't discuss it here, see the link.

Back