• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why .40 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
It's too small for deer and too big for the smaller stuff. What is the appeal of the .40 bore? Thanks

Some folks seem real happy with it, it doesn't really appeal to me. Legally I can't use it for large game, and I wouldn't anyway. And I can't shoot good enough at squirrels to need the distance the .40 may provide over a .36.

I also like the .36 for small game and small varmints. The .40 caliber excels at the target range on paper. If you want to ring steel or knock it down then go to the .45 or .50. = it also bucks the wind better. My 2 cents worth:thumb:

Why not a .40??? For small game , back off on the powder charge , for bigger critters like turkeys , coyotes , fat old ground hogs , and targets out to 75 yds , boost the powder a little. .. What ruins small game , is tissue vaporization from too much velocity. Kill it , don't vaporize it. Also , as an old guy , what a rifle weighs , becomes important. With that in mind , got a 3/4 " X 38 " st. Oct. brl. in .40. cal.. Light wt. walnut wood . , flint lock , and a rusty old set of iron parts found in ashes of a burnt out shed. Whole package weighs barely 6 lb. Another thing about a .40 , it will digest almost anything put down the bore , and be relatively accurate , while being superbly accurate in between the two sweet spots , representing high power , and lower velocities. Hope this helps

A 3/8 ramrod will go down the barrel...

I converted my .45 to a .40 when I built a .54..A .40 is great on squirrels when you drop down to 25-30grs of FFF powder and can be stoked up to say, 60grs FFF for larger game, deer inside 50 yards, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, etc...

A .390 ball also bucks the wind a bit better when target shooting longer range..

A 3/8 ramrod will go down the barrel...

I converted my .45 to a .40 when I built a .54..A .40 is great on squirrels when you drop down to 25-30grs of FFF powder and can be stoked up to say, 60grs FFF for larger game, deer inside 50 yards, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, etc...

A .390 ball also bucks the wind a bit better when target shooting longer range..
All good and valid points.

Of all my rifles, the .40 cal gets shot the least of them. I don't hunt small game anymore, but even if I did I would prefer a .36 over the .40. Paper and cans are also killed just as well with a .36. I have killed deer with the .40, but it is lighter than I prefer. I don't live on the frontier, and lead/powder is easy to come by, so I like a .54 for hunting. My .40 cal. is very accurate. Maybe if the year was 1763, and resources were scarce, a .40 would be a good all around option. Today, I have not much use for it.

I never owned a .40 but it was very popular in Arkansas. The law was small game had to have .40 and under, deer .40 and above. White 20-25 was good for Buggs and Rocky, 50-60 good for Bambi to about fifty yards. Most shots in the deer woods was that close or closer
About 1990 they changed to .45

I never owned a .40 but it was very popular in Arkansas. The law was small game had to have .40 and under, deer .40 and above. White 20-25 was good for Buggs and Rocky, 50-60 good for Bambi to about fifty yards. Most shots in the deer woods was that close or closer
About 1990 they changed to .45
I have seen the calibers change. For a long time it was .36 max for squirrels, .40 max for rabbits, and .45 minimum for deer. Everything today is .40 across the board.

In my experience, .40 cal is large enough that it isn't as 'load finicky' as the smaller calibers. I've had 2 and I am a solid supporter.

As far as "too small for this game" or "too large for this game", if you can confidently put the shot where it needs to go, any (legal) caliber is the right size.

LOVE my .40 Flinter. And I love to eat Squirrels. With 20 grains of 3f, no meat destroyed with a 'decent' shot. As others have stated deer at archery range. Coyotes are next on my list. The squirrel pic is from my last outing a few days ago, and I missed a couple dang it...my fault.

Attachments

• KIMG1427.JPG
    KIMG1427.JPG
    10.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 6776.jpeg
    6776.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back