• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bag mold caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a box of stuff at a real estate auction to get a bag mold that was in the box. I couldn’t get my hands on the mold to see what caliber it was. After I got it I cleaned it up and poured lead in it I measured the ball and found it to be .405. Too big for a .40 and too small for a 41. Anybody have any idea what caliber this ball was for? Can’t find anything in .38 cal in a muzzling revolver.

I bought a box of stuff at a real estate auction to get a bag mold that was in the box. I couldn’t get my hands on the mold to see what caliber it was. After I got it I cleaned it up and poured lead in it I measured the ball and found it to be .405. Too big for a .40 and too small for a 41. Anybody have any idea what caliber this ball was for? Can’t find anything in .38 cal in a muzzling revolver.
A lot of moulds were custom. I would hazard a gun that was made in an unusual caliber or freshened.
But often a load was used that was looser than todays shooters like.
But I’m thinking the first American contract rifle was 485 caliber or so. And Boone had a .47

According to my gauge chart, .405” balls would run exactly 100 to the pound. Do you see “100,” or any other marks on the mould?

Old-time gunsmiths were not constrained by standard calibers as we are today. Those balls would have likely been for about a .42 caliber rifle.

As it is an antique, you may want to just preserve it, especially if it is marked for gauge. However, Larry Callahan might be able to re-cherry it to a larger size if needed.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
No markings on the mold. Just bought it to have. Told the wife it is an excuse to buy another gun to fit the mold. She doesn’t seem to agree with my reasoning. Go figure.
According to my gauge chart, .405” balls would run exactly 100 to the pound. Do you see “100,” or any other marks on the mould?

Old-time gunsmiths are not constrained by standard calibers as we are today. Those balls would have likely been for about a .42 caliber rifle.

As it is an antique, you may want to just preserve it, especially if it is marked for gauge. However, Larry Callahan might be able to re-cherry it to a larger size if needed.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back