• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who needs a rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all honesty the only way I see to improve a smoothbore is to add a tail to the ball be it a dowel or line and drag.....
Everything old is new again.

Scloppeteria, Capt. Henry Beaufroy, 1808:
"Another method also, which we have seen tried successfully enough at 100 yards, but no further, was to bore in a common musket ball a small hole about two tenths of an inch diameter : a piece of string from four inches to fourteen, doubled in the middle being inserted into the hole, and the lead beat over it, the two ends were left hanging loosely from the lead : on firing balls prepared in this way against the common spherical ball, the former had a decided advantage, as to the up and down direction, the deviation to the right and left being comparatively trifling, while the latter were in all manner of directions round the target."

Spence

I roll my roundballs between two flat chunks of granite counter tops. They come out looking like a golf ball. I don't understand why because the two surfaces feel smooth. I started doing this only to remove the sprue

from the balls. It makes my smoothie shoot like a rifle.

That's a good group at 50 paces. When you get it down just a couple inches you'll be spot on. 50 paces is a long ways. I killed three deer with my flintlock last season and I don't think any of them were over 50 yards away. You used 70 grain of 4F? Is your powder designation different from ours? i have never seen anyone use 4F for the main charge, only pan priming.

Welp, here we go again (4f) lol

They don't like shooting on golf courses over here, disturbs them or something....

We must not forget that a soft lead ball dose not necessarily stay round upon firing. A golf ball does. But huge acceleration forces can change the shape of a lead ball. The bigger they get the worse it becomes.

In all honesty the only way I see to improve a smoothbore is to add a tail to the ball be it a dowel or line and drag.....may not work at super sonic levels though!
They’re the same over here..
Just try getting in a round of Archery Golf... people are so fussy.

Back