• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who needs a rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifty paces will come out to 50 yards, unless you are like four-foot-two, or seven-foot-ten. For most people it will work out very close.

thanks for the post brit, you got every thing down right, just keep doing it and telling us about it. just think what you could do with a rifled rifle.
When I was younger I had one. Nothing was safe to 100yds. I recall a few three shot groups of under 3" at 100 off hand but I was in my early twenties then.
I used IIRC 3F. 60GRN. A wet with Hoppes black powder lubricant cotton patch and home cast .440" ball.
A CVA caplock.

keep doing what you are doing, if you ever come to western ne. or wyoming bring a rifled rifle, game is never closer that 150 yards to 200 yards. doesnt bother us out here, we are used to it.

Great shooting Nathan!

Will you say why you place the thin card on top of the load? Is the load so loose, it is used to keep it from shifting perhaps?

Possibly you've found it gives better accuracy for some reason?

Thanks for sharing Skychief.

Thanks Nathan. I misread and see now they are wads, not leather patches. Isn't it great when things come together as they have for you and that pea-shooter?

All the best, Skychief.

That is better offhand shooting than I've been able to do in a long time, Nathan. The group's amazing for a"bare ball" load. Tom

brit, i can see your thinker and want the best of the best, just got to ask you and to drive every one nuts again. ever think about getting a round ball mold made to have dimples like a golf ball? it has dimples for a reason, it cuts the air well with out spinning, better than a smooth surface. that thought has always been in the back of my mind about smooth bore shooters. may be a swagging die could be made to take a cast round ball and make it look like a golf ball. bet accuracy at longer ranges would be the results. the myth busters made the front end of a car look like a dimpled golf ball and it got better milage than when the front was smooth. golf balls fly straighter because of the dimples.

The term is gnawed balls. Of course we don't chew the balls to apply irregular dimples, we use two large wood rasps to roll the balls over to put a random pattern of dimples over the circumference of the balls. There's a lot of reports of improved accuracy. Its a lot cheaper to go to Harbor Freight to buy a couple of wood rasps than to try to have a custom mold created. Besides, ramps don't care about gauge.

brit, i can see your thinker and want the best of the best, just got to ask you and to drive every one nuts again. ever think about getting a round ball mold made to have dimples like a golf ball? it has dimples for a reason, it cuts the air well with out spinning, better than a smooth surface. that thought has always been in the back of my mind about smooth bore shooters. may be a swagging die could be made to take a cast round ball and make it look like a golf ball. bet accuracy at longer ranges would be the results. the myth busters made the front end of a car look like a dimpled golf ball and it got better milage than when the front was smooth. golf balls fly straighter because of the dimples.
They don't like shooting on golf courses over here, disturbs them or something....

We must not forget that a soft lead ball dose not necessarily stay round upon firing. A golf ball does. But huge acceleration forces can change the shape of a lead ball. The bigger they get the worse it becomes.

In all honesty the only way I see to improve a smoothbore is to add a tail to the ball be it a dowel or line and drag.....may not work at super sonic levels though!

Back