• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

000 buck or in British, LG.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired a lot of old cartridges the other day. BB, #4 buck, #1 shot.
It'll get used on crows or something one day but in amongst them was quite a few 000 buck shot loads so I pulled the shot to have some fun with big Ted.
Now you know me so don't get expecting a scientific methodical approach to this shooting test!

The target was an empty 250 slab carton they box 12g shot shells in.

Shot one. 90gns of powder, two thin cards, balled brown paper, card, 12 000 buckshot and one card.
20210806_192507.jpg

It wasn't very thrilling and that was from the tighter left barrel!

So I then shot the right barrel.

I went from three in the target to five in the target 🤦‍♂️
20210806_194536.jpg

I did not like the soft recoil or report so did the test again only this time no paper. Just card plus leather, plus card, plus leather and one more card.
Wow! I went from five count to thirteen!
20210806_195317.jpg

That was the left barrel first again.
The following shot from the right barrel increased the count to 15 🤦‍♂️

I need to rerun the test again. The last two shots had much better power too. I can feel my shoulder still now! Oh and I forgot my ears. Ouch! 🤦‍♂️
I found some of the cards.
20210806_195947.jpg

Apart from my ears I enjoyed the session and my appreciation for a 10g is rising!
20210806_200215.jpg

Last edited:
Ah. The weight does have a way of taming heavy loads. I have a modern Over/under that's pretty hefty. Heavier pheasant loads feel not much different than lighter dove and grouse loads.

Back