• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitworth range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was my first true outing with my PH whitworth. I got both my sights in and tried a few different powder charges.

The 70 grain target included my first shots today and had some sight adjustments in there.

The 75 and 85 grain charges show what looks like double groupings. Not sure what’s causing that, but my front sight isn’t completely solid. It has a slight rock to it, so I assume that is the cause. I tried to shim it tighter for the 85 grain group, but it still showed what looks like two groups. Not sure what’s going on with the 80 grain group.

All of these bullets except the last shot at the top are sized to .451. I am using the Lyman 457121PH grease groove mould.

Hopefully I can get my front sight rock solid and get some more consistency out of my groups. I’m hoping to get it down under 2 inch groups before moving out to a longer range.

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3069.jpeg
    IMG_3069.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Today was my first true outing with my PH whitworth. I got both my sights in and tried a few different powder charges.

The 70 grain target included my first shots today and had some sight adjustments in there.

The 75 and 85 grain charges show what looks like double groupings. Not sure what’s causing that, but my front sight isn’t completely solid. It has a slight rock to it, so I assume that is the cause. I tried to shim it tighter for the 85 grain group, but it still showed what looks like two groups. Not sure what’s going on with the 80 grain group.

All of these bullets except the last shot at the top are sized to .451. I am using the Lyman 457121PH grease groove mould.

Hopefully I can get my front sight rock solid and get some more consistency out of my groups. I’m hoping to get it down under 2 inch groups before moving out to a longer range.
Nice looking rifle, Jshorter. What distance were the targets set at?

Cheers, Pete

Pretty good shooting for a100 yards. Actually not bad groups at all for starting off.

No doubt getting the sights nailed down would be the first thing I would do. From then on its just one thing at a time.

I went through the same thing with my GPR when I first got it. Couldn't figure out what was going on until I noticed the rear sight could move on its own.

Latest posts

Back