• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight for Parker Hale Whitworth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felipe

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a real Parker Hale Whitworth to do some long-range shooting. It has been retrofitted with a BSA No.8 flip-up rear sight. The front sight seems to be a hacked version of the original globe site - the 'lolly-pop' has been removed and a knurled brass sleeve has been inserted and is retained with a grub screw in the 12 o'clock position (see below). The dovetail measures ~9.7 mm front to back on the sharp edge and the centre of the sight 'reticle' is about 10.5 mm above the top surface of the gun barrel.

I would like to replace this front sight with e.g. a Parker Hale tunnel sight with interchangeable reticles, ideally with the reticle at the same height as the original globe sight. The PH FS22 looks promising, while it looks like the AJP MatchMaker or Model 2 would not fit as the knurling round the screw-in section overhangs the dovetail slightly so would probably foul on the gun barrel. Pedersoli sights seem to have a 9.5 mm dovetail, which might be a bit loose.

Please can anyone supply a part number for a suitable front tunnel sight that they know will work with the PH Whitworth?

Thanks
F

1698414983736.jpg

I can't quote a.part.number, but the lowest.profile Lyman globe with the knurled, screw-in sleeve at the rear to clamp the insert in place works.fine for my Whitworth and isn't too far "off-height" to let your tangent sight remain usable. ( 1) if your cfont sight.is higher than that, you can't get the front barrel band off without removing the sight first. 2) Once you chose a sight, the longer distance to the.front sight on a 36 inch barrel may mean the hole.through a.hollow- bead ( ring) insert needs ro be opened up.a little. ...Easily done with a small round file, genfly twirled in the hole counterclockwisr so as not to bind. You may even want to thin the ring fdom the outside, but just measure carefully an cur mindfully to get it symmetricsl. A slightly tapered post is nice, too, again measuring and cutting carefully.

Hello,

I recently bought a real Parker Hale Whitworth to do some long-range shooting. It has been retrofitted with a BSA No.8 flip-up rear sight. The front sight seems to be a hacked version of the original globe site - the 'lolly-pop' has been removed and a knurled brass sleeve has been inserted and is retained with a grub screw in the 12 o'clock position (see below). The dovetail measures ~9.7 mm front to back on the sharp edge and the centre of the sight 'reticle' is about 10.5 mm above the top surface of the gun barrel.

I would like to replace this front sight with e.g. a Parker Hale tunnel sight with interchangeable reticles, ideally with the reticle at the same height as the original globe sight. The PH FS22 looks promising, while it looks like the AJP MatchMaker or Model 2 would not fit as the knurling round the screw-in section overhangs the dovetail slightly so would probably foul on the gun barrel. Pedersoli sights seem to have a 9.5 mm dovetail, which might be a bit loose.

Please can anyone supply a part number for a suitable front tunnel sight that they know will work with the PH Whitworth?

Thanks
F

View attachment 263778
Lyman model 17A .404 height is the one you're after, Felipe. Buffalo Arms has them in stock.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/17ahb-lyman-17a-404-high-fro-lym3171076.html
cheers, Pete
Lyman 404.JPG

Really good information - thanks both! The Lyman is certainly cheaper than a used PH!
F.

I can't quote a.part.number, but the lowest.profile Lyman globe with the knurled, screw-in sleeve at the rear to clamp the insert in place works.fine for my Whitworth and isn't too far "off-height" to let your tangent sight remain usable. ( 1) if your cfont sight.is higher than that, you can't get the front barrel band off without removing the sight first. 2) Once you chose a sight, the longer distance to the.front sight on a 36 inch barrel may mean the hole.through a.hollow- bead ( ring) insert needs ro be opened up.a little. ...Easily done with a small round file, genfly twirled in the hole counterclockwisr so as not to bind. You may even want to thin the ring fdom the outside, but just measure carefully an cur mindfully to get it symmetricsl. A slightly tapered post is nice, too, again measuring and cutting carefully.
And LeeShaver has replacement inserts for the Lyman sight and others which are much finer and easier to use than the original inserts.

https://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/front-sight-insert-cards/
He also has the correct P-H sight.

https://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/p-h-series/

Latest posts

Back