• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Thompson Center did I find today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a 45 caliber percussion with a hawken style stock. The barrel says Thompson Center 45 caliber on it. It's not marked hawken, renegade, Seneca, Cherokee or anything like that . It just says Thompson Center. It has set triggers. It also has adjustable sights.

Post a couple pictures and you will recieve an answer quickly. Also measure barrel length and width (across the flats), 1”, 15/16”, etc. This measurement is critical to be precise.
Walk

Post a couple pictures and you will recieve an answer quickly. Also measure barrel length and width (across the flats), 1”, 15/16”, etc. This measurement is critical to be precise.
Walk
It's 15/16 across the flats. soon as I find a tape measure I'll get the length on the barrel

It's 15/16 across the flats. soon as I find a tape measure I'll get the length on the barrel
Picked up a 45 caliber percussion with a hawken style stock. The barrel says Thompson Center 45 caliber on it. It's not marked hawken, renegade, Seneca, Cherokee or anything like that . It just says Thompson Center. It has set triggers. It also has adjustable sights.
IMG_20201018_133350206.jpg

It is a TC Hawken. There’s as many TC’s that don’t name the model as there are ones that do. No rhyme nor rreason to it either.

Good day all. I have a TC, also without a 'name designation'. However it is the same as later Hawkens I think. [15/16ths across flats, 29" barrel] It is a kit build I believe because the serial # is K228392. It has really pretty wood and is as well done as any factory TC that I have seen. [no, I did not make it … bought it at a pawn shop in a tiny town in Oklahoma] Polecat

The guy that I picked it up from said that it was an early one. It's not a kit built. Serial number is 83190 I don't know if that does any good in pinning down an age.

When TC started making its "Hawken" rifle, that was the only sidelock they made so there wasn't a good reason to stamp "Hawken" on the barrel.
Later, when they started making other style sidelock rifles, stamping the model name on the barrel became more important.

Thats the picture we needed. Yes, its a TC Hawken which the brass has been darkened on. Serial number indicates it is not real early (4 digit numbers early), but I cannot tell you exact year. Hammer spur indicates the lock is not of newer design.
In any event, its a Hawken.
Walk

Thats the picture we needed. Yes, its a TC Hawken which the brass has been darkened on. Serial number indicates it is not real early (4 digit numbers early), but I cannot tell you exact year. Hammer spur indicates the lock is not of newer design.
In any event, its a Hawken.
Walk
Thank you, I had several renegades in the past including a 56 caliber smooth bore. This is my first tc hawken. I normally shoot my under hammers but I do appreciate any nice percussion rifle

The barrel thickness across-the-flats is the identifier.

The T/C Hawken was only made with a 1" or 15/16" wide bbl.

The T/C renegade was only made with a 1" wide bbl.

The T/C Cherokee, Patriot & Seneca were only made a 13/16" wide bbl.

My two early Seneca's with the barrels only marked for the caliber.

fAO6dKUl.jpg

Congrats on your new rifle, which i believe to be a "hawken" model. Though there rae many who look down their collective nose at this rifle, they have put a boatload of deer into the freezer. Mine has never failed me (except when i did dumb stuff, like forgot to load it or somesuch).

Check out Dutch Schoultz' method, here:
http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com...r flintlock, can be improved with this system.

this is, to my mind, the best non shooting accessory you can get. if you follow his instructions, your groups will shrink: he guarantees it.

Latest posts

Back