• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whic range rod do you use? and where did you get it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldracerguy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a range rod for my TC Renegade and Hawken. There are many choices out there. anyone have a preference on type, and why, and where did you get it? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, like many others have made their own. Mine is stainless steel rod,eggshaped wooden knob and a brass bore protector, I think it cost me around $15 in materials, I had a friend who was able to drill and tap it 10/32 female for me. I like it, have not used any of the flexible ones so cannot comment on them.

I use a sturdy stainless steel rod. It has a wood ball for a handle. I forgot who made it but I have three of them from various places. They might have been made by Outers at one time.

HD

I have one Treso, one half home made from a steel rod that had not handle, and several home made from steel rod from the hardware store. Have also made them from brass. You don't have to be a machinist to make one. Just get your self a 5/16 steel or brass rod, a 3/8 brass threaded ramrod tip (it's 5/16th on the inside) and a 5/16th ID bore guide. Epoxy and pin the ramrod tip to the rod being careful not to get epoxy in the threads. Slide the bore guide on the rod and then attach the handle of your choice. I've used 1 1/4 diameter dowel wood, 2 to 4 inch round hardwood balls from the hobby store and lastly some antique door knobs. They all work fine and are ready to use in a few hours.

I have a full-length (48") hickory rod I use at home to clean or pull a ball but otherwise I keep to the tapered hickory rod or the "OEM" T/C rods that came with the rifles/guns as all I use at the range. I did make two hickory spares (one with no metal fittings at all) for my longrifle just to be sure I'll never break one. ;-)

I just bought a SS range rod from Dixie gun works for my T/C Renegade, used it for the first time yesterday, seems to work very well.

I bought a stainless steel rod with wood ball handle and bore guide, along with .36 and .54 attachments (jags, breech scrapers, etc.) from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading - Matt and Toni Avance. As I recall it was around $25.00 plus a few dollars for the attachments. WELL WORTH IT!

Mine is a simple brass rod with a "T" handle, "cleaning jag/ ramrod tip" and bore protecter. I made it from 3/8 brass rod bought at the metalic recylcing center, drilled and taped both ends 10/32 and put the handle, bore protecter, and tip which I made on. Total cost $3.00 and about one hour to make the parts.

I bought a full length (1 Piece) brass cleaning rod and cut it to length in order to fit under the barrel. I drilled and tapped a 10 x 32 thread to accept jags and pullers etc...
My short starter is brass with a wooden T handle. It will thread right onto it.

I also use brass, hollow or solid, tapped 10/32 on each end and with a jag on the front end and a T-handle and bore guide(in my shooting bag)for the back end. Screw the T handle on your ramrod and presto, a range rod.
Deadeye

Great minds think alike eh?
Actually, I think it is the best solution to problems that can occur.

A heavy brass rod will always get that ball seated when you should have cleaned it the shot before.
The T handle gives you plenty of pull if you find you have rammed a ball down without powder. (Not that I would ever do that ;o).

I have 3 range rods: one in 50 cal & one in 45 cal both are Knight alumimn rods with "T" handles.
Very solid strong rods. Both of these rods have a jag attached and the jag is taped so other attachments can be screwed in. I use the 50 cal rod also for my 54 by just screwing in a 54 cal jag. My third rod was sold my Remington and it is coated steel and 5/16 dia and this rod is used with my 32 & 36 caliber rifles. I have nylon bore guides on all three rods. I don't like brass bore guides as they can fall down the rod and hit the crown and damage the crown.

The only time I use a bore guide is when I'm flushing out the barrel. I hold the guide with my left hand and pump with my right.
I do understand what you mean. I allow the guide to fall down to the jag then insert it into the barrel.

You can get a well made, solid brass, fixed-handle rod, with practically any fittings needed from Tip Curtis, Frontier shop. :thumbsup:

I am getting quite a collection of range rods and have started to have at least one for each rifle. My favorite range rods are solid brass {most from October Country-he'll custom make them for you} After alot of use they get blackened up quite a bit {stainless steel do not} but with a quick wipe or two with Zep Five Star brass &metal polish they shine like gold.

T handles end are very handy if you end up pulling a ball

I usually make my own from a hickory blank.Which leads me to ask a question about range rods.I had considered a metal one for use around the house(I'm able to shoot in my back yard)I just figured the stainless would be hard on the barrel riflings etc.not the case?i'm sure i could come up with a scrap piece of SS at the plant :)

The hard, Stainless Steel Range rod I bought, made by Treso, is easier to wipe down, and keep clean, than my brass rod, and it does not hold microscopic grit that sticks into my brass rod.

As you know, there are all kinds of Stainless Steel. Some are softer than others. I don't have any ability to test the hardness, or the alloy of the SS range rod I have. Perhaps a Call to Treso can give you that information so that you can find a comparable rod from your own sources.? :idunno: :hmm: :thumbsup:

Back